Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Late April/Early May in Northern Japan 2019/7/2 09:14
I am considering a trip to Japan Apr 22 - May 3, 2020. Not my first time, and I am considering going to Tohoku and Hokkaido. I think Tohoku will be fine during this time, my concern is Hokkaido and if road-tripping and enjoying greater Hokkaido is feasible at this time. Seems like it will be the start of spring with cherry blossoms in some places. I don't think the flower fields in places like Furano will be ready, and perhaps the national parks will still have muddy and not so green trails? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also concerned about Golden Week falling during this time, perhaps I should look somewhere else for travel during this period and plan on exploring northern japan in the summer another year?
by jolin (guest)  

Re: Late April/Early May in Northern Japan 2019/7/2 14:44
It's not the most ideal time for Hokkaido in my opinion. June or July would be better on another trip.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Late April/Early May in Northern Japan 2019/7/2 17:45
Hi!

It was a decade ago, but I got caught in a blizzard in Tohoku around April 25th. It depends on where you are going there and what you want to do. I was in Hirosaki and Kakunodate for peak sakura, but there was substantial snow near Towadako.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Late April/Early May in Northern Japan 2019/7/2 19:54
I was in Hirosaki, Hakodate and Sapporo in April 24 till May 2 this year.

Awesome weather in Hirosaki and went to the Hirosaki cherry blossom festival. Just too pretty.

However when we reach Hakodate and Sapporo, it just rained and rained. We wanted to go Furano and all but learnt from this forum, there wonft be any flowers so We only went to Jozankei for hot spring.
by Earthgurl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late April/Early May in Northern Japan 2019/7/2 21:27
Thank you, this information is very helpful. Perhaps if I do go, I will consider just stopping by Hakodate, Lake Towa, Sapporo, and Asahikawa in Hokkaido and save the more rural parts for another trip.
by jolin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Late April/Early May in Northern Japan 2019/7/4 09:49
It is the best season in the Tohoku region.
It is recommended to move north along with the time when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom.
https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sakura19/
by LinaLisa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread