Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/4 01:38
hello everyone, my family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids , 11, 9, 5) are planning a trip to Japan. So trying to figure out the itinerary. we arrive morning of 14 Dec and fly off morning of the 27 Dec

So far this is what i am thinking off (let me know what you think or if it makes sense):

14 Dec: Narita to Hakone
Stay 2 nights

Dec 16: Hakone to Kyoto
Stay 4 nights

Dec 20: Kyoto to Tokyo
Here onwards, i have 6 nights.
- thinking of heading to Yuzawa for some snow and also to give snowboarding ago, maybe 2 nights
- then head back to Tokyo to run around

For Transport, i am trying to figure out if i should give driving a go :)
or just leverage on a 7 day JR pass.

Looking forward to some inputs from the folks here! many thanks in advance.
by Bengstermon  

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/4 15:21
Your itinerary looks good. Including a trip to Yuzawa which is easy from Tokyo.

What I would check though is snow amount in Yuzawa in mid December. I always went later (like February) when there are huge amounts of snow. Not sure if so early in the year there is already enough of the white stuff.

Regarding driving, you donft list any destination where driving sounds like a good idea. Driving in Japan is expensive due to highway tolls, slow due to the high speed trains but low speed limits on streets and in cities expensive because you need paid parking everywhere. So generally itfs a good option for remote areas (eg Shikoku) but not good for major cities that are well connected by Shinkansen/ train. In your case although Yuzawa isnft a major city it is incredibly well connected to Tokyo.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/6 01:00
thanks for the feedback. we are still figuring out the actual journey :D and based on your feedback, maybe we will go the shinkansen way :)

question:
- we came across Shizuoka .. should we go there instead of Hakone?
--> trying not to go where there are a lot of crowds :)
by Bengstermon rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/6 02:32
I don't know how crowded Kyoto is in December, but the last two times I went, (11/16 and 4/18), it was crazy crowded. I don't think it was just the seasonal attactions. I think that almost all first-time foreign tourists include Kyoto. The amount of foreigners visiting Japan has tripled in the last ten years and they all seem to be in Kyoto. Just giving you a heads up since you mentioned not liking crowded places.
by nealson rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/6 04:19
Hi!

To add to what @Nealson just said, we literally just got back from Japan and some parts of Kyoto were as crowded as a theme park. Mid-June is not known as a popular time to go to Kyoto because it is hot, humid and often rainy. This was my 3rd trip to Fushimi Inari (not my 3rd trip to Japan) and my first time back since 2010 and it was so crowded there. By the time we left, close to noon, the lower area was as crowded as Tokyo Disney. Nishiki Market is another packed area. We started walking down the street and just turned around. There are less crowded parts of Kyoto, but any of the big temples on most people's "Must-Do" lists are not them.

Driving can add up quickly, and there really aren't any passes that include Tokyo and Kyoto. You could get a JEP Pass: https://global.w-nexco.co.jp/en/jep/ But you would need to pick it up outside of Tokyo and get off the expressway outside Kyoto as I am pretty sure all the closest expressway exits to Kyoto are not included in the Pass.

I just rented a car in Tohoku and used a TEP Pass. I had the smallest sized car cause we're just 2 people and some bags. If we had been a family of 5 with anything more than 2 carry-ons we would have needed a much bigger car. Our car was about 13,000 yen for 48 hours+the 4000 yen TEP Pass+2600 yen in gas. Had we been paying out of pocket, we would have spent: closer to 8000 yen.

In Shizuoka vs. Hakone it really depends on what exactly you are looking for? Hakone is very popular and an easy trip from Tokyo. From NRT you can take the NEX to Ofuna and then catch a local line to Odawara.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/7 00:10
@Nealson
@rkold

Many thanks for your feedback. Will take your information and feedback into consideration.

For now, and we have decided on the following:
14 Dec - Arrive in Narita, head to Kyoto via JR and shinkansen
Stay 3 nights in Kyoto

17 Dec - Kyoto to Nagoya
2 nights

19 Dec - Nagoya to Hakone
Stay 1 night

20 Dec - Hakone to Shizuoka
2 nights

22 Dec - Shizuoka to Tokyo
5 nights - fight the Winter Tourist CROWD !!!! (T T)

**Question 1: We have been to kyoto before (that was 12 years ago, only me and the missus), so if we decide to avoid the crowds, is there any place other than Kyoto we should go? trying to be adventurous haha ... this time round i have 3 kids on tow

**Question 2: Should we rent a car and drive from Hakone to Shizuoka then to Tokyo?
(we are thinking of only getting a 7 day JR Pass, which is only from 14 - 20 Dec)

Thanks so much for the info and feedback. This forum is great! Arigato!

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/8 15:46
Any feedback on the driving bit?
i.e. Hakone to Shizuoka then back to Tokyo?

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/8 16:58
Why would you drive on a route that runs alongside the train line?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/8 17:16
Near Kyoto, you could always head to Uji/Nara for all the sights at both places, hopefully a little quieter than Kyoto itself. I also love Himeji Castle, and friends of ours stayed overnight in Himeji and found it quite good. You could also decide to stay in Osaka, which might be a bit cheaper, and take day trips to particular places you want to see.

Lake Biwa is quite lovely, too.

I wouldn't drive anywhere there was reasonable public transport, and certainly not between Hakone, Shizuoka and Tokyo. Driving is slow, parking is difficult-no street parking in Japan-and toll roads add up. I've not been to Hakone but it's likely to be busy making the driving an extra hassle.

Have a wonderful time in Japan.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/8 19:14
Your revised itinerary is quite different from the initial one and I have some questions:

17 Dec - Kyoto to Nagoya
2 nights

19 Dec - Nagoya to Hakone
Stay 1 night

20 Dec - Hakone to Shizuoka
2 nights

What do you specifically plan in Nagoya?
What do you plan in Shizuoka? Are we talking Shizuoka city or somewhere Shizuoka prefecture? (I was only once in Shizuoka city and wouldn't say that it is a touristic highlight. You can go to the beach... but that seemed to be about it.

I have to admit that I liked your initial itinerary way more as it offered less moving around and more logical places where to stop.

If you want less touristy, you could stay in Nara (still touristy, but if you are at the opening hour at the Daibutsu it is fine) and then have still the rest of the day to explore Nara. Plus Nara prefecture has so many great places to see. Also in Kyoto there are actually less crowded places. E.g. Arashiyama is crazily crowded only in a few spots. However if for example you rent a bicycle at the station in Arashiyama and ride just a little bit further as all the tourists on foot go, it can become a very pleasant experience:
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2018/09/tranquil-part-of-arashi...
(Even without a bicycle you can reach those slightly farer flung places).

For Kinkakuji or Ryoanji, if you are there a few minutes BEFORE opening hour, you can still see it nicely. The bus hordes only arrive a little bit later. But you need to get yourself and your kids out of bed early enough. Be late... and you'll be just in a sea of tourists.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/8 23:44
thanks all for the advice, now I will really rethink my itinerary.

In Kyoto we will definitely be visiting some must go sites (Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine, Arashiyama, Gion). We are planning to go Nara from there as well so I will think 3 full days is required.

In Nagoya we may go Legoland, kids are Lego fanatics. I read about the Toyota Museum, Nagoya Aquarium, Osu Kannon and Oso Shopping street that I am interested to explore. For the moment everyone from our part of the world is going Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo so I have more feel for Nagoya at the moment.

I have only read nice things about Hakone but the hotels and ryokan prices are very expensive, so we may give it a miss. Shizuoka seems to be a cheaper alternative to see Mt. Fuji with cheaper accomodation. I found the Oigawa Railway and Dogashima Cave to be interesting too. I am trying to convince my wife and kids to try to cross the Sumatakyo Gorge too, ha.

All these were plan without factoring the JR access yet, purely based on map location. Will appreciate any advice to have a smoother and shorter travelling time to get to these places. Everything is still pending. We do want to plan a day trip to Gala Yukawa so should we plot our route along that area instead? (I see that Niigata is nearby but I did not see anything that may appeal to my kids)

Thank you all you wonderful advisers!

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/9 01:10
The last time I visited Arashiyama after doing the Hozugawa boat ride (do it if it is running in December), the main street (the one before the main temple ) was just wall to wall people. We quickly got out of there and caught a cab to sara arashiyama . Much more pleasant! Just as Likebide says.

Uji is really nice, but I don't know if your kids will like it.

Here's a couple of sites you might find useful: https://www.fasol.com/tips/kyoto/

https://www.keihan.co.jp/travel/en/plan-your-trip/itinerary-ideas/otsu... ( I haven't done this, but I've stayed in Otsu and did a private tour visiting a farmer's house and making mochi.)
by nealson rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/9 07:50
I like Nagoya.

Inuyama Castle is just out of town, and sits high on a hill overlooking the river. We were there in cherry blossom season, the whole place was just stunning.

There's also a big outdoor museum, Meiji Mura, which is on my list of must see places.

Have a wonderful time in Japan.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/9 16:48
ok I think we will keep to the plan from Tokyo - Kyoto - Nagoya...

But is there any other places along the train lines that we can visit before heading back to Tokyo? The hotels prices in Hakone seems to be getting really exorbitant and I am not willing to pay that amount considering I have to get a big family room or even 2 rooms for my family.

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/9 17:59
Izu peninsula is the place to be. You stop at Atami (stop before Odawara). We stayed at Ajiro which is on the bay next to Atami, now the town itself is very very quiet but everything is walking distance from the train and then Atami is 10 minutes one way and Ito 10 minutes the other. The ryokan (Taiseikan) was cheap and excellent with great onsens and nice views. I'd use it as a base to explore that side of the peninsula. We also stayed at Shuzenji which is much more of an onsen town. Nice.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/10 00:19
hi!

I went to Fushimi Inari about 2 weeks ago and it was more crowded than Tokyo Disney Sea when we left around noon. I would not go to Fushimi Inari unless you plan to get there by 8:00 am. It just gets so insanely crowded now.

Good luck!

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/10 08:04
Do you mind if I ask why you want to visit Kyoto?

The reason I ask is if it's to see good temples and history - then then are other options close by which may be an option.

If you've got kids - a good potential option is spending two days in Nara Prefecture area around Asuka and Sakurai. This is one place where I would hire a car if there are 4/5 of you and there is not a huge number of toll roads in the area which is helpful.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4175.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-3042
https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-3043

I also stayed at this place which may be nice for a family if you want to live local for a couple of days. The price might be a bit expensive though...

http://asuka-minpaku.com/en/

by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/10 10:28
Asuka and Sakurai are also near Akame 48 Falls where there is ninja training. I did it with my kid and most of it was a huge hit outside of the water walking. I expect they don't do that in the Winter. The training is really challenging, but mostly fun (except water walking.)

Sakurai and Asuka are also surprisingly close to Osaka. We ended up taking the Kintetsu line up to Osaka for dinner one of our nights and it only took about 30 minutes. You can get to the Sakurai area by Kintetsu line from Nagoya. We stayed at the Candeo in Kashihara. I found the prices were lower on their website than on outside booking websites. I became a free member to get an even lower rate. The hotel also has a public bath on the roof. We saw very few foreigners while we were there, but everyone is super friendly and there were a few free craft activities and costume activities that I regret we didn't do (it was very hot when we were there.) I imagine in cooler weather the Yamanobe no michi is a lot of fun.

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/13 16:13
thanks everyone for their great input and feedback. We will review our itinerary :) we have been chopping and changing and trying to fit our plan into the 7 days JR PASS !

Re: Suggestion for 13 nights (14 Dec - 27 Dec) 2019/7/13 16:33
We will review our itinerary :) we have been chopping and changing and trying to fit our plan into the 7 days JR PASS !

Why do you allow a train ticket to mandate you where and how to travel?

You can do your own plan of what YOU want to do and then see whatfs the best ticket for that. Or would you change your trip to Japan for a trip to Siberia only because the airline gives you a special offer?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread