Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advices for 2019 autumn vacation 2019/7/6 18:08
Hello friends,

I am preparing for my autumn vacation, and need your advices.

My travel time will be from 15 Dec to 30 Dec.
I will arrive in Tokyo at first, and go to other places.
My purpose is to enjoy red leaves in Japan after having had an amazing cherry blossom vacation.

I will visit the best spots for autumn leaves in Kyoto and Tokyo in the last week of Dec.
However, I cannot decide which places to go to see the autumn leaves for the week 15 Dec to 22 Dec.
Could you please give me some advices?

Thanks a lot!
Khang
by lnkhang  

Re: Advices for 2019 autumn vacation 2019/7/6 19:30
Unfortunately it is usually too late for colors after mid December.

In late-coloring years in Tokyo, some colors can survive in some spots, such as Shinjuku Gyoen or Rikugien. In Kyoto, I have barely ever seen colors after December 15.

This page explains the usual timing of the colors:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html

by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Advices for 2019 autumn vacation 2019/7/6 23:04
Agree with above.
12/15 to 12/30 is more like the winter - too late for autumn colors.
by Kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advices for 2019 autumn vacation 2019/7/7 07:07
I've seen reds about in mid December in places like Nara and Arashiyama, and area around Westin Miyako still has a little colour then, but nothing like proper autumn. Kyushu might be OK then?
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advices for 2019 autumn vacation 2019/7/7 07:31
December is winter, not autumn. Far too late for Tokyo or Kyoto. Depending on the year, you might get snow instead.
At a stretch, I've experienced late seasons where some colour has lasted to the beginning of December, not mid-December. You would have to go a lot further south to get a chance for some.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Advices for 2019 autumn vacation 2019/7/9 01:41
Ho all,
I made a terrible mistake for my question.

I actually plan the trip for the last two weeks of Nov :(. The question is still the same that I need your advice foe my first week - the 3rd of Nov.

Thanks all!!!!
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

Re: Advices for 2019 autumn vacation 2019/7/9 02:27
I would still follow Uji's link and have a look at the website. Little confused by the clarification but if you are looking at the second half of November (you mentioned 3rd of November I am assuming you mean third week of November) then yes you would be able to see the autumn colours in Tokyo.

It is best to keep an eye out for autumn colour festivals such as the Jingu Gaien Ginkgo Festival “Icho Matsuri” (神宮外苑いちょう祭り) at Meiji Jingu Gaien. These festivals coincide with the anticipated autumn colours. I prefer this festival as I have visited the street during this time which is lined with tall ginkgo trees with bright yellow leaves.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Advices for 2019 autumn vacation 2019/7/13 22:49
Thanks a lot for your advice.
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

reply to this thread