Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will my Suica be charged if i use a JR pass? 2019/7/7 11:24
Just took a train from Tokyo Station to Utsunomiya. I used my Suica card to pass the first gate to enter the station (some kind of side entrance, no JR booth). I then used my JR Pass to pass a second gate and board the train.

What will happen when I arrive at my destination and use my Suica again to leave the station?
by JRquestion (guest)  

Re: Will my Suica be charged if i use a JR pass? 2019/7/7 13:58
What will happen when I arrive at my destination and use my Suica again to leave the station?

Your Suica card will be charged with fare for the distance traveled.

If you don't use your Suica card to leave the station, it expects you to leave a station, and you won't be able to use it again until the situation is corrected at a manned ticket counter.

Don't use Suica to pass through JR ticket gates if you have a Japan Rail Pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Will my Suica be charged if i use a JR pass? 2019/7/7 15:06
Probably our answers are too late, but when you arrive at your destination go to the manned gate and explain them the error you did with the Suica. I am pretty sure they can correct it.
And yes, as PP said, if you travel with a JR pass you always need to pass through manned gates.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my Suica be charged if i use a JR pass? 2019/7/7 15:56
Other posters have answered your question - speak to a station attendant before using your Suica again.

Always look for manned gates to use your JR Pass. For larger stations, you may need to walk around to another entrance to do so. Otherwise yes, your IC card will be charged.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my Suica be charged if i use a JR pass? 2019/7/7 15:59
OP here,

Cheers for the answers, they corrected my mistake at the next booth I passed.

Lesson learned!
by JRquestion (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will my Suica be charged if i use a JR pass? 2019/7/7 17:48
Fortunately JR staff expect people to be honest and people do make mistakes. Some station entrances don't have manned gates (some don't have anyone at all), but really you should have found a manned entrance and not used your suica.
The JR staff, when they exchange your voucher, show you how to use - they go to great pains/lengths to explain to people always use a manned gate, but still tourists don't.
Next time and every time use the manned gate with your JRP.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread