Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/8 19:52
Hi,
I would like to ask a naturalization question. I'm now in my 11th year living in Japan. I have a Japanese spouse and two children, both of whom are Japanese citizens by virtue of them being having been registered in my spouse's koseki.
I'm working as an English teacher here. I came on a spouse visa and was lucky enough to get hired by an English teaching company. I don't have a university diploma because I wasn't able to finish my last year.
After moving to several other companies, I have now built my own English conversation school with close to 200 students. I also how teachers to help me with the lesson load.

I've read online through very helpful sources like turning-Japanese.info and on this forum and have gotten the impression that a university degree is a big requirement for me to be able to apply for naturalization.
As mentioned earlier, I don't have a college degree. Is it possible to apply for naturalization? Or should I just give up?
Thanks.
by Gravel (guest)  

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 13:39
Naturalization is taken on a case-by-case basis, and the guidelines are just that: guidelines. Obviously having a degree is preferred, but that's not all they look at. In your case, I would just apply. It sounds like other than that you have a strong case! And besides the time and cost to get the paperwork, it doesn't cost anything to just apply. You might also consider hiring a lawyer who specializes in naturalization to help if you're worried about your chances.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 14:19
Is there such a regulation ?
the documents you have to provide are here.
http://www.moj.go.jp/MINJI/minji78.html#a11
you can ask the nearest –@–±‹Ç with appointment.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 14:50
Thanks.

I should also mention that I have PR status. I also own property as I have had a house built here.
But no college degree.
by Gravel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 19:07
Given you have PR, the benefits of citizenship are limited over and above - you could apply, but with PR do you need more (want is a different issue).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 20:32
Having no degree is not going to fail your naturalization application.
That is the 1st time I've heard/read about this.
Care to share where you read that info ?
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 21:07
Hi @..,
I read it here.
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+164139

I also read it here. (item number 15)

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 21:12
I forgot to put the url on my previous reply to answer the question.
Again, item number 15.
https://www.turning-japanese.info/p/steps.html?m=1

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 22:14
That's a case of "if directed," so if you are not, that's that. Since you have PR already, I believe it is extremely unlikely that they will ever care about college/university background.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/9 23:52
Thanks for the link.
i would say the same as ....... (guest)

From the look at it, you only need to show proof for the degree if you mentioned about it in your application, hence "if directed".
Depends on your education background, you need to provide proof "if directed".

That goes for other documentation as well, required proof to support your statement.
Applications are screen case by case based on individual history and background.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/10 08:45
Given how many people are in Japan working at jobs that do not require a degree, it would only be if it applicable. I know someone going through the naturalization process currently and they do not have a degree and do not require one in their line of work (and not about to get one either). Similarly, I know a couple of people already Japanese citizens without degrees - not required for their line of work (for example, a chef).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/11 18:28
Thank you all for the answers. I have made my appointment and I will be having my initial interview next month.

I was just curious.
Does having PR give the case worker some idea regarding my situation that he or she MIGHT NOT NEED to see a university diploma?
I understand that having a university degree helps prove that the applicant has the necessary tools to make an appropriate living while here and not going on welfare.
Will proving my business earnings and profits by showing all proper tax statements give merit to my application as well?

Re: Naturalization and no college degree 2019/7/11 21:05
university degree is for working visa (status). the reason is that initially the government wants to choose persons who have better education, to prevent from coming of blue-color workers.
but, spouse visa (status) does not have such restriction. even if a spouse has no education, still he/she can have the status.
naturalization (to become a Japanese) is the ultimate step when a foreigner wants to stay in Japan, after a long stay with appropriate status. there are many professions which don't need university degree, chef, artist, etc.
therefore, it is highly reasonable that naturalization does not need university degree.

your presence in Japan will not make bad effects. you earn enough money to live (no need to pay you social welfare), you have a happy family with Japanese members . I believe that, since you are happy now with your family in Japan, you decide to be a Japanese. Is there any reason to refuse the happy person ?
I think you can get naturalization.
sorry for my poor English.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread