Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bike for Shimanami Kaido without reservation 2019/7/10 22:32
Hi! I work in Kyoto until September and want to do the Shimanami Kaido some time in August.
Since I do research at a university and have a very unpredictable schedule, I want to take a day off when I've finished a run of experiments. I definitely want to make it a weekday so there are fewer people, but I have no idea when I'll have a day or two to spare. And I plan on starting from Onomichi.
Judging by the japan-guide page on the Shimanami Kaido it seems that there are bike rental places where one needs to reserve in advance. But usually there are places around that have no-reservation bikes available. But this is a very popular spot, so I was wondering whether anyone has experience with renting without reservations.
I plan on taking a 5.20am train from Kyoto, so I'd be in Onomichi around 8am to have the best chances of getting a bike.
Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!

(PS: I know it's hot and humid, but I've gone on bike tours everywhere between Ishigaki and Rishiri, mostly in the summer months and know what I'm in for ;))
by rumpelstiltskin  

Re: Bike for Shimanami Kaido without reservation 2019/7/14 18:54
I rented a bicycle at Onomichi Port a few years ago.
There were so many bicycles.
It is unlikely that all bicycles are already rented out at 8:00AM on a weekday.

The website says they have 900 in total.
http://shimanami-cycle.or.jp/rental/english-reservation

by Chibanian rate this post as useful

Re: Bike for Shimanami Kaido without reservation 2019/7/14 23:22
Thank you!
that sounds good.
Even with a mamachari, I think I'll manage somehow to get across.

by rumpelstiltskin rate this post as useful

Re: Bike for Shimanami Kaido without reservation 2019/7/15 08:13
I did it in late May without reservation. I was just told to show up by 7am at Onomichi bike rental and it worked fine. I also wrote about it here if it would help: https://bizarrejourneys.com/shimanami-kaido/
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: Bike for Shimanami Kaido without reservation 2019/7/23 06:34
Thanks! That is a very informative post!

PS. Interesting part (and I agree) on "ugly" architecture. It's my 5th time visiting Japan for extended periods and I might come work here permanently, but I've never come for the glossy advertised version nor did I expect to see just beauty.
by rumpelstiltskin rate this post as useful

Re: Bike for Shimanami Kaido without reservation 2019/7/23 08:21
Definetly. I highly recommentd Lost Japan by Alex Kerr or Dogs and Demons by the same author. Both are very informative books about the construction policies in Japan.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

reply to this thread