Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/10 22:32
I am planning to travel to Japan on Dec. covering Tokyo and Hokkaido for 10 nights. Any suggestion or recommendation on how do I plan my itinerary?
by Simon YK Cheng  

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/11 15:05
Do the things you want to do in Tokyo, then fly to Hokkaido. Without shinkansen extension into Hokkaido yet, train takes forever.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/11 15:15
Be prepared for cold and snow.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/11 19:35
That is not entirely true. The shinkansen does go to Hokkaido, but only to Hakodate. With only 10 days though you may want you travel by air instead unless you love trains. It's about 5 hours to Hakodate from Tokyo and the JR East South Hokkaido rail pass would be best if you were doing the long train ride.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/11 20:28
The Shinkansen does go to Hokkaido, but only to Hakodate.

The Shinkansen goes not to Hakodate Station in Hakodate City,
but to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Station in Hokuto City, Hokkaido,
where you can make a transfer to the Hakodate Line
and catch a Hakodate Liner for Goryokaku and Hakodate.

Simon YK Cheng:
Any suggestion or recommendation on how do I plan my itinerary?

What do you hope to do?
How are your preferences?
Do you skip tourist spots in northern Kanto and in Tohoku?
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/11 22:24
Semantics. It goes as close to hakodate as it can. The other person said it doesn't go to Hokkaido.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/12 03:51
Well, I said it doesnft go *into* Hokkaido, which you can argue is true, since wefre talking about the edge. Semantics aside, wefre talking about a heck of a long train ride versus a 90 minute flight.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/12 04:52
Did this trip twice. Once by airplane, once by train.

Honestly, I prefer the last option, at least if I have the time to do that.

Shinkansen trains (and even the Hakodate Line ones) are more comfortable than a plane. You can stop and quickly feel a place or eat or buy something or just stretch your legs. Maybe Morioka, where the station is more central than Shin-Aomori and you'll be farther from Tokyo in comparison to Sendai. The scenes are also cool, specially yet in Hokkaido.

But it takes time. I leave Ueno ~10:30AM and arrive ~19:30 I think. By the way, note that if chose the plane you must go to HND/NRT and from CTS. It's not just the flight time.
by taskkill (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2019/7/12 11:19
Do you know what specific things you want to see? Where in Hokkaido? It's a big place.

I've done the shinkansen trip to Hokkaido but only because I was going to Hakodate and Noboribetsu Onsen first before heading to Sapporo. I wouldn't bother if you were planning on going straight to Sapporo. I caught the plane back to Tokyo from Sapporo after travelling extensively around Hokkaido for a couple of weeks.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread