Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/12 15:27
Hi everyone,

I'm visiting Japan from 23rd Dec 2019 to 6th Jan 2020 and has plans to travel via the JR Rail from Osaka up to Hakodate on 30th December.

As its very close to new year day, can I check whether JR trains from Osaka to Hakodate will be difficult to book for 30th December even if I've the countrywide JR Pass? I heard many Japanese will be travelling from big cities back home to visit their relatives or family on this day.

Appreciate any input and advice!

Thanks!

-Steve
by Steve Yong  

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/12 20:23
Flying maybe the best solution for such a long journey. But if you are set in travelling by train using JR nationwide pass then perhaps try booking the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto one month before when reservation opens at JR East https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/co...

Apparently no such reservation service for JR nationwide pass from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo. Maybe I am not aware of latest development.
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/12 20:28
Sorry ignore my answer as you will need to pick up your tickets in Tokyo the night before. So not really suitable for you.
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/12 22:21
The tickets can be picked up at any JR East or JR Hokkaido station (not necessarily in Tokyo) by 9pm the day before departure at the latest, but it can be earlier.

We don't know what OP's plans are before going to Hokkaido, only that they arrive in Japan ln the 23rd, and plan to go from Osaka to Hokkaido on the 30th.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/13 03:32
2-2.5 hrs. by air
7-10 hrs. by train

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/13 04:31
JAL even has discount tickets for 10800 yen that day!! That's a lot cheaper than the Shinkansen plus faster!

Follow the links on the JAL part of this website:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/13 08:03
December 30th at least avoids the weekend which would be busiest/most difficult. But you should still book as soon as you can - say by 1st December for the Shin-Osaka to Tokyo leg.

Apparently no such reservation service for JR nationwide pass from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo. Maybe I am not aware of latest development.
JRWest provide this service, and the SmartEx service has been around for a year.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/13 11:57
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the response! Appreciate them! Yes, I will be taking domestic flight instead of trains after reading how it will be very crowded on the 30th.
Does anyone know whether trains travelling within Hokkaido (eg. from Sapporo to Hakodate/ Sapporo to Niseko) will be very crowded during the New Years' Holiday (31st Dec to 3rd Jan)?
-Steve
by Steve Yong rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/13 17:21
There may be some peaks but you will have lots less trouble in Hokkaido than Honshu. Don't forget to buy snacks when shops are open if your visiting any rural places due to closures. On a positive note, Seicomart(basically Hokkaido familymart) has really good fresh cooked meals
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling by JR rail nearing New Year Day 2019/7/14 11:02
I will be taking domestic flight instead of trains

You had better still get ready to go by railway, mainly by the Shinkansen.

In winter, Hokkaido flights may be canceled due to snowfall.
That really happened six month ago on the 5th of January 2019,
when New Chitose Airport [CTS] (gateway airport for Sapporo)
got struck by sudden snowfall,
stranding many travelers on their way back home.

During a busy season,
in a case where many flights are canceled at a major airport,
it may become soon difficult to find vacancy at a reasonable price in hotels near the airport.

can I check whether JR trains from Osaka to Hakodate will be difficult to book for 30th December

I suppose Shinkansen trains / airplanes will not be most crowded on Monday the 30th,
but still it is highly recommendable that you early book your train ride / flight.

The year-end new-year tourist's rush is expected to begin
in the morning of Saturday the 28th or in the previous evening.

even if I've the countrywide JR Pass?

Your rail pass does not give you any benefit for your seat reservation.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread