Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Not Communicating Consulate/Embassy 2019/7/15 12:15
Hi everyone.
I'm a foreigner in Japan as a tourist for 3 months. I intend to marry with my girlfriend in some weeks and change my status to spousal of japanese national. After marrying in the prefecture office, I should go to my country's consulate with documents given by the prefecture and report my marriage, thus getting a mariage certificate with the consulate. And then after this, with this marriage certificate, go to Immigration Office and change my status.
The question is: Do I really need to go to my country's consulate and get this marriage certificate to change my status? Can I change my status without communication my marriage to my country? Does the immigration office check with the consulate if I communicated my marriage with them?

Thank you
by LuluSasa  

Re: Not Communicating Consulate/Embassy 2019/7/15 13:10
From which country you are?
by Alanwalker rate this post as useful

Re: Not Communicating Consulate/Embassy 2019/7/15 17:03
I'm from Brazil. I have read consulate and embassy website. They don't enforce you to communicate the marriage, but they strongly recommend you to do it.
I'm more curious because I have read japanese websites saying the marriage certificate that the foreigner consulate gives must be shown when you apply to change your status.
by LuluSasa rate this post as useful

Re: Not Communicating Consulate/Embassy 2019/7/15 21:40
I don't understand why you don't want to report your marriage to your consulate. Isn't it obligatory to report your marital status? I would simply follow what they told you to do, it's really not difficult. I know bureaucratic stuff like this is time consuming (especially in Japan), but you're better off following what they tell you to do.
by anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Not Communicating Consulate/Embassy 2019/7/16 03:08
First ask your prefecture city hall if they accept your marriage without a registration papers from your embassy then no need for immigration. Then just submit kosiki tohon of your wife .
by Alanwalker rate this post as useful

Re: Not Communicating Consulate/Embassy 2019/7/16 08:47
so many fake marriages in Japan.
If you want to increase your change to get the visa you should takes effort in showing the marriage is real.

And you have to go to the consulate to get a Certificate of Single Status in person.
A birth certification is also needed from your country

It seems you need to report your marriage to the consulate. If you don't do there is a possibility that the visa will be revoked.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Not Communicating Consulate/Embassy 2019/7/16 09:33
One of the usual steps getting married in Japan is having all of the correct documents. Having helped UK/US people with the process, one of the important ones is proof no impediment to marriage (an affidavit) and you get that from your embassy/consulate.
As for registering the marriage - different countries have different rules - some it is not required.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread