Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Tokyo Bus Punctual? 2019/7/15 15:53
Hi all,

I am planning a trip in December 2019.

On 1 January 2020, we plan to catch bus from 7.30am, arriving Tokyo station 9.35am and catching 10am shinkansen train to Oishida.

My question is, is the bus from Kawaguchiko going to arrive in Tokyo station punctually? Is 25 min transfer enough?

Kind regards,
Shoopshoop23
by shoopshoop23  

Re: Is Tokyo Bus Punctual? 2019/7/15 18:51

I have taken many buses in Japan, mostly they were on time, but several occasions they were late and very late due to the unforeseen circumstances ( e.g., traffic jams ). Be prepared to expect the unexpected.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo Bus Punctual? 2019/7/15 19:17
I am planning a trip in December 2019.

Too early. Reservations are not open, and timetables may change in October as well. Come back later.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo Bus Punctual? 2019/7/15 19:35
Highway buses are not as punctual as railways. Buses from Lake Kawaguchi to Tokyo generally delay on weekend afternoon due to traffic jam. It is because the Chuo Expressway has only 2~2 lanes and capacity is limited. I don't know about its congestion on New Year's Day, though.
But if you miss the 10 o'clock shinkansen, you'll be able to take the nonreserved car of the next shinkansen. On New Year's Day, trains are not so crowded. So if you're lucky, you'll have seats.

by Chibanian rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo Bus Punctual? 2019/7/15 22:43
When researching for bus schedules from the airport to Tokyo, I noticed that ride duration varied depending on departure time (takes longer during rush hours). So the schedule does account for "normal" traffic expected at that time. However, abnormal situations do happen from time to time.
by basho (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo Bus Punctual? 2019/7/15 23:10
Mr? Bashoes hypothesis doesnft apply to Fujikyu Bus from Kawaguchi-ko to Tokyo.

by Chibanian rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo Bus Punctual? 2019/7/16 09:48
Some buses that use highways state that the arrival time varies according to traffic. Heavy traffic, weather (snow), or an accident could easily slow things down. Last road trip I did (last month) there was a minor accident, but it blocked one lane - added 40-60 minutes to the trip getting past the point (and it wasn't an especially busy time of day or a busy road).
If you are worried about timing, the trains do not suffer traffic-jams, but can still suffer delays - hence higher rates of on-time arrivals. Still, you could always take a later shinkansen.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is Tokyo Bus Punctual? 2019/7/18 17:27
Thank you very much for all the input!
by shoopshoop23 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread