Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary, koyo and food related questions 2019/7/16 10:07
Hi everyone,

We are going to visit Japan for the 6th time for 14 night in early October.

We have already been to the main attraction cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima, Naoshima Miyajima, Nagano, Jigokudani and Kanazawa).

This time we will stay for 9 nights in Osaka and 5 nights in Tokyo.
Our questions is what day trips do you recommend taking from these bases? (we will have the JR Pass). Also, what local or seasonal dishes do you recommend to try, and are they worth traveling just to try them?

We don't mind traveling for a long time in the Shinkansen, as long as we will have enough time to enjoy the day trip and as long as we can be back at out hotel in Osaka and Tokyo at the end of the day, even if it is late (we can not change our bases).

Our focus is culinary, nature and Byubu. We would also like to view Koyo and Sumo if possible at this time of the year.

Many thanks in advance!
by ramst  

Re: Itinerary, koyo and food related questions 2019/7/16 12:35
Hi!

Have you been to Sakurai and Asuka? They're only around 45 minutes via the Kintetsu line from Osaka. It's a lovely and underrated area.

I guess you could also look into the Kumano Kudo and Wakayama Prefecture in general. A friend just told me about an amazing place to eat she just tried in Kainan.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary, koyo and food related questions 2019/7/16 15:24
Early October with your bases and only daytrips allowed is VERY early for Koyo:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html

Essentially by then it is only in Hokkaido (not doable as a daytrip) or in very high elevations of the Alps and Hachimantai. For Hachimantai you could get on the Shinkansen to Tazawako (about 3 h from Tokyo station) but then youfd still need a bus ride to get to the higher elevations so maybe about 4,5-5 h one way to see some Koyo. Doesnft sound like a daytrip to me.

If you cannot change your bases, can you change your travel dates?

As spots for daytrips albeit without Koyo I second the Sakurai area and in general Nara Prefecture:
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Nara?m=1

- Hikone
- Okayama & Kurashiki
- Miho Museum

And from Tokyo:
- Kamakura
- Enoshima
- Chichibu
- Karuizawa
- even Nagano city is doable
- Nikko
- Takaosan

For food, well some restaurants have seasonal menus. Or if you can stay in a Ryokan for some nights (but you say you canft change your base) youfll also have regional, seasonal cuisine.

Enjoy planning your trip to Japan!

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary, koyo and food related questions 2019/7/18 00:08
What about Mount Koya? https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4900.html

Is within easy reach from Osaka and a very suggestive place
by Ale345 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary, koyo and food related questions 2019/7/18 08:59
You must have a reason for spending all of your time in big cities (nine days in Osaka) and you say you have already visited them before. Limiting to day trips is just that, quite limiting.

You go to Ise as a day-trip - easier via non-JR.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary, koyo and food related questions 2019/7/18 15:03
Thank you all for the useful advices!

I was thinking, i have been to the museum in Hiroshima already many times, however i havenft seen the other parts of the city, as after the Museum i always went to Miyajima. Do you have any recommendations for Hiroshima?
by ramst rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary, koyo and food related questions 2019/7/18 15:27
Did you check out this page for your Hiroshima question?
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2160.html

Also, what are you going to do about the Koyo?
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread