Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Left Japan, want to be a tourist again 2019/7/20 05:10
I lived in Japan for 3 months as a non-permanent resident. I had an apartment and a job but I had to return to America for medical reasons. When I got there, I did everything I was supposed to do like sign up for the pension, get a health insurance card, a residency card, registered for taxes, stuff like that. When I left, I THINK I did everything I was supposed to do, like I told city hall I was leaving, I paid all of my utility bills, got rid of my furniture, had my residence card punched, etc. I didn't make enough to have to pay taxes, which is what my boss said at least.

I would like to return to Japan as a tourist but I'm a little worried that I forgot something important and will get in trouble when I return. The one big thing I know I didn't do was pay into the pension. I couldn't afford it at the time (I didn't even make enough to hit the lowest tax bracket) and literally everyone was telling me not to pay it, even my translator at city hall.

My question is, will I be denied entry into Japan for not having paid my pension?

My friend who lives there told me I could possibly be denied entry, but I can't find anything about this online. I called my local consulate about it and asked if I could pay it somehow from the US but they said I would have to contact the pension service directly. That's easier said than done if you don't know much Japanese. They didn't know anything about being denied entry.
by nonetheunready  

Re: Left Japan, want to be a tourist again 2019/7/20 14:42
Assuming that you are from a visa waiver country (eg US) the only thing you need to do is buy a flight. That gfriendh who tells you that not having paid pension will make it hard to come to Japan as a tourist just wants to scare you.

Actually for pension once you leave Japan you are entitled to get the money back!!! Obviously in your case as you didnft pay into it you didnft get anything back. But definitely not an obstacle to be a tourist or even to residing again in Japan if thatfs something you would like to do in the future.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Left Japan, want to be a tourist again 2019/7/21 09:19
My friend who lives there told me I could possibly be denied entry,
People really need to get rid of these "friends" - they know nothing - it is not grounds for denying landing permission/entry. You are a tourist on a visa waiver.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread