Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Freelancing, tax and the legal side 2019/7/20 12:12
Hello everyone!

I'm currently living in Japan teaching english for a company but looking for a more flexible job where I can take more decisions. I concisered starting a company, but realized it was too much money and time consuming and might not be profitable until I'm far down the road. I thought freelancing might be a better option short term since ive built a solid network. But I wonder if it is completely legal to teach people and taking cash payments as long as I pay tax?

Thank you and have a great day.
by MarkyInJapan  

Re: Freelancing, tax and the legal side 2019/7/20 15:18
What is your status of residet (exactly as written on your residence card)?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelancing, tax and the legal side 2019/7/21 01:18
If you are self-employed then of course you can accept cash payments. And of course you will have to pay tax. I am of course assuming that your residence status allows you to go self-employed, if not then it becomes more complicated.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelancing, tax and the legal side 2019/7/21 09:16
Activities need to be permitted under the status of residence. If you are teaching and do freelance work under a different category, that is not allowed. People can get a valid status of residence as a freelance worker, but need to prove to immigration they will have enough income (normally in the form of contracts). Possible, not easy.
And, yes, you have to pay tax even if you receive payment in cash or otherwise.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread