Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagano to? before Osaka 2019/7/22 04:34
Hi,

Hope you can help us with planning our honeymoon!

We're in Japan for just over 2 weeks in December, flying in and out of Tokyo.
So far we've booked 3 nights in Tokyo followed by 2 nights in Sakuho for a different experience.

Where would you recommend between Sakuho and Osaka/Kyoto (our next planned stop)? The nearest station in Sakuho is Sakudaira station if it helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.
by ChrisIOM  

Re: Nagano to? before Osaka 2019/7/22 09:58
Hi!

There is Kanazawa, since presumably you hope to take the Hokuriku shinkansen to Kanazawa rather than back tracking through Tokyo.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano to? before Osaka 2019/7/22 10:51
Same thoughts as rkold, i feel Kanazawa would be a good stop and also more convenient on the way down.
by Delardino rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano to? before Osaka 2019/7/22 10:58
Kanazawa is a good suggestion. It is nice in December but later in December it gets slushy and unpleasant moving around, also we found a lot of places shut over the post christmas shutdown, so much so eating options were comparatively limited (this was several years ago, might have changed). We liked Hotel Hakuchoro there with their tea coloured onsens.

I'd also consider Takayama which I really like (much more than Kanazawa tbh but that is just a personal choice) - shinkansen to Toyama and wideview Hida to Takayama. We like Hotel Associa there.

Or Matsumoto (nice small city, not much to do for more than a day) to take the shinano express from Nagano, you can also take it on to Nagoya from there and maybe stop to do the Tsumago-Magome stroll - quite nice that time of year). I would also mention Hikone, only because you will pretty much go past it either way, and I really like that town and its authentic castle. Hikone Castle View Resort is a great place to stay.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano to? before Osaka 2019/7/22 12:37
The nearest station in Sakuho is Sakudaira station if it helps.

As far as I searched, the nearest station of Shinkansen is Sakudaira, but Sakuho by itself has some local train (Koumi Line) stations. If you like local train rides, Koumi line is one of the best in the mountain area. Though it takes rather ling ride, you can reach Kobuchizawa and then catch Limited Express train to Matsumoto and then to Nagano or Nagoya.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano to? before Osaka 2019/7/22 13:38
Personally, I think Takayama is an awful long trip from Sakuho, and makes a longer trip onwards to Kyoto and Osaka. There are only 4 direct Hidas from Toyama to Takayama a day and if you miss the Hida the trip is going to take a very long time.

If OP is looking for a stopover for 2-3 nights I could see Takayama working , but if it's just one night I think Kanazawa makes the most sense. I happen to like Kanazawa a lot, though I've only been there in November and June and not in December. I think places being closed around New Years can be a problem anywhere in Japan. It was '06 when I was in Tokyo for New Years Day but after that experience I swore off ever being in Japan for New Years again unless I was actually living there. Takayama will be just as problematic as Kanazawa I would think. When I went to Takayama in '17 and stayed at the Associa, I found it hard to find a place for dinner and I was there in June. Kanazawa was so much easier! I could honestly spend 2-3 nights happily in Kanazawa.

It's on average going to take you ~220+ minutes from Saku-Daira Station (+ however long it takes you to get to that station from where you are staying) to Takayama vs. 106-113 to get to Kanazawa from Saku-Daira Station. Kanazawa is then 133 minutes to Kyoto vs. 195 from Takayama if you can take Nozomi or 218 with a rail pass.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano to? before Osaka 2019/7/22 14:26
Agreed, I wouldnt go to Takayama if it was only one night.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano to? before Osaka 2019/7/28 22:48
Thanks to you all for your replies - very useful. Kanazawa looks perfect for an overnight stay for us :)
by ChrisIOM rate this post as useful

reply to this thread