Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about health insurance 2019/7/23 19:32
Hi everyone,

I've been in Japan as an exchange student since this April, and since I'm leaving at the end of July, I went to the ward office (in Yokohama) to cancel my health insurance. I haven't paid any amount for it since arriving here, so I got a bill for June, July and August. I was concerned about the payment for April and May not being on the bill, but after going back to check the bills I've received before I noticed that none of them include those months. Is the insurance cost of April and May just included in the payment for all the other months? I wasn't sure why August was included in my bill since I'm leaving before then, but is that the payment for April and May? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I love the Japanese insurance system, but it's so confusing and I want to make sure I don't leave some kind of unpaid debts before I leave!!!
by jack (guest)  

Re: Question about health insurance 2019/7/24 10:35
Just go to the city office again and explain your situation. Last time when you were there they may not understand. They'll adjust and tell you how much you supposed to pay from April to the end of your stay.
If you have return air ticket information, you can proof that youfll be leaving soon.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about health insurance 2019/7/24 15:00
Somehow, there is no payment required for April and May. What I mean by "somehow" is that when I asked the ward office they said "Somehow it's not required." Whether you think it's "included in the payment for all the other months" is up to your interpretation.

Anyway, you're doing the right thing. I've been paying public health insurance (kokumin-kenko-hoken) for years as a Japanese resident, if that helps. I hope you had a great time studying in Japan, and this would be another learning experience for you.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread