Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking Japanfs second highest peak 2019/7/25 20:41
Hi,
i come across and read a july 2018 article on " Hiking Japanfs second highest peak: Mt. Kita-dake"
i am wondering is it possible to climb Mt.Kita-dake on my own without a guide or tour?
i am also curious on whether or not there is any guide/tour for it (is there any link)
by Beginner (guest)  

Re: Hiking Japanfs second highest peak 2019/7/26 15:17
Does your username gBeginnerh mean you are not hiking very often?
In principle you can hike up onto mt. Everest alone if you are experienced enough. So itfs all a question of experience, fitness ...
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking Japanfs second highest peak 2019/7/26 15:31
https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/peaks/180731.html

And maybe you get lucky and rkold connects later. She loves to research hiking info :-)

Re: Hiking Japanfs second highest peak 2019/7/26 18:28
Recently a friend of mine was there and hiked it, but he has the experience, soon I am going to and would like to try to hike, but I am a beginner. Any advices?
by DeonTey rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking Japanfs second highest peak 2019/7/26 23:58
@Likebike Hahah, thanks, I do usually enjoy researching it but I'm moving cross country in a month so I'm in crazy mode.

I know there are guided tours, I would look up some of the climbing sporting equipment places to find them. I don't know if that specific mountain has them though. I think this is one of the most comprehensive and well written sites on climbing mountains in Japan in English: https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/japan-hikes/

And I would honestly email him and ask him your questions.

I'm looking to do something like Mt. Ibuki in the future, since it looks like my ability level. lol No horrible drop offs, no ladders, and I could maybe get my kid to do it too, though we are currently mostly going to Japan in June which can be awful hot.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking Japanfs second highest peak 2019/7/27 09:21
@ LikeBike
yes this is in fact will be my very first since i have have not done any hiking before in my eternal life is kind of making me very excited to see and feel to do a hike, though i don't really walk hill and wish not to do hill since why not if there is mountain in the country i love to climb at the same time purpose of going.
by Beginner (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking Japanfs second highest peak 2019/7/27 15:09
If this is your first hiking experience in your life I wouldnft start with the second highest mountain of a notoriously mountainous country.

What about a mountain such as Takao-San from Tokyo? It is a very popular hike which has its pros and cons but for a beginner having a mountain with a lot of other hikers also means more safety. If something happens to you, youfll get quickly help from someone.

If you want to get into hiking Ifd do the following:
- visit your local hiking store to get advise on equipment. Youfll need at least some hiking boots (donft hike in sneakers) and clothes with several layers as weather & temperature along a hike can change very quickly.
- buy one of the hiking guidebooks for Japan. I think there is one from lonely planet but there is also an other. In a well equipped hiking bookstore or travel bookstore you should be able to find them.
- read through and start with a very easy hike. Then take it from there.
- if the guide book says 3 h just assume that this means for you 4 h minimum. Hiking isnft a race.
- get a map of the region you want to hike. You can buy those in Japan in a bookstore. They are relatively widely available as hiking is very popular in Japan
- bring enough water and food for the hike
- and then enjoy

Now, I personally actually donft like hiking, I am into cycling instead. However I have grown up in a family of hikers and have done my hiking as a child (unenthusiasticly). And instead of marrying a cyclist I married a hiker. So although a lot of experience isnft first hand, I do know some about hiking.

So my last advice would be to talk to some friends of you who like hiking and get their general advise as well.

Enjoy the hike in Japan!

Re: Hiking Japanfs second highest peak 2019/7/28 09:44
@ LikeBike
great thank you for the advice =)
by Beginner (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread