Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From spouse to work visa 2019/7/26 22:08
Hi had a spouse visa for a couple of years now and I lived in Japan more than 4, i am soon due for renewal. I really dont like the idea of having my spouse responsible for my stay in japan and so I am considering a work visa. I already have a stable job with company that will sponsor me for a work visa. But I came here to ask this question..

If I already have a job and something happens like divorce do I still need to have a degree from university to apply? Or is it really just matter of taxes and proving I can make a living on my own?

Im a little worried of returning to the states if im refused an application (i need time to find new work, new home, etc);

I thought about PR but it feels like too much work maybe too much money as well.
by Tom (guest)  

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/27 07:33
Changing spouse to work is going into reverse, bad choice ?

Spouse:
If you so happen to divorce at least you could fall back to work visa or long term.
No restriction on types of employment.

Work:
Restricted to types of work you can do.
If you lose your job, you need find the same category job or get a different work.
You could fall back to spouse (i still married) but what if divorce ?

Since you maybe good for PR, then it is in your best interest to get it as soon as your eligible for it.
PR is the next best thing after citizenship, opening more opportunity, more security.
Yes, may take some work in getting documentation for application but don't think it" maybe too much money as well". PR will outweigh all of that.

Have you even research/know what PR is/benefits?

Just in case, PR for resident status and PR for taxes purpose are two different things.
Every (foreign) resident are consider PR (for taxes purpose) once they lived in Japan more than 5 years.

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/28 02:11
Thanks for your reply but i am confused and PR for tax purpose or whatever does not make sense I will reword this hypothetically:

I am married, I have a full time job with a company in Japan. I lived here over three years but I want divorce(I have bad relationship but also have children). I cant easily pack up and restart life in the states, and I am not university graduate so I dont know if I can get work visa or not.

As for permanent resident,
I had a legal representative handle my visa work up until now. I dont know what documents i need or where to find them for PR. My guarantor would be my wife but she refuses to help. From immigration site its 8000yen fee and more importantly it takes 6months to process. I have like 4-5months left.

Once again any help would be appreciated. Thanks
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/28 02:59
If you want to change your status to a work-based one, you are subject to the qualifications requirements for that status, which may or may not include a university degree.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/28 04:15
So the degree would definitely be in the criteria.

I figured the change of residence status wouldnt matter about the degree if you are already employed.

Ok thanks anyway. Ifll see if i can apply for pr then.

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/28 09:07
Do you have a degree of any kind post high school? It doesn't need to be from a university but it needs to be related to your job.
What kind of work do you do?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/28 10:12
I cant go into details but I got the job by reference and the company needed native english speakers.

I went to vocational school in the US and have certificate but it does not match my current field of work.

Like I said earlier, Im on a spouse visa so there was no work restriction.

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/28 11:30
Even though you already have job lined up, you going from spouse to work means you starting your work visa from scratch.
Immigration will check and determine whether you are qualified/suitable for the job/work visa.
So if your job/work visa required a degrees or experiences in order to satisfy immigration requirement, then you need to abide that.

Another option, will be applying for long term resident LTR status. Normally those who are on spouse but divorce/spouse passed away, have some obligation (work/children) in Japan.

http://visanavijapan.com/live-in-japan/divorce-in-japan/
https://www.japanvisa.com/visas/long-term-resident

List of Necessary Documents
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/hituyou_syorui.html
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/29 02:27
So the degree would definitely be in the criteria.

I wouldn't be so sure, but since you seem to know better...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From spouse to work visa 2019/7/29 04:08
"Even though you already have job lined up, you going from spouse to work means you starting your work visa from scratch."

That does not make sense, I already have been working at the job, its not "lined up".

This thread has out lived its course, I already settled for applying for permanent residence, not a work visa.

"I wouldn't be so sure, but since you seem to know better... "

That comment isnt even necessary, I generally avoid this forum because most of the people who answer are jerks like you or JapanCustomTours.

reply to this thread