Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Connect time international to domestic flight 2019/8/2 22:39
Hello. I have booked ticket from Finland to the Nagoya, via Narita. This is one booking, not separately tickets. There is 1.5 hour between flights.
To Tokyo i have Finnair, and from Tokyo to Nagoya JAL, but as i understand, Finair and JAL have sharing flights.
I don't need Visa (and i have bio metric passport of EU citizen), but i have luggage. So my questions
1) Do i need to take my luggage on Narita airport?
2) I will need to pass security and passport check in Narita, or in Nagoya?
3) Do you think, i get in time to my flight to Nagoya? :|
by Arturss  

Re: Connect time international to domestic flight 2019/8/3 14:11
You will pass immigration and customs at Narita (so yes, you must retrieve and recheck your luggage).

Yes, that's enough time. If you are delayed, they will rebook you on a later flight to Nagoya.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Connect time international to domestic flight 2019/8/3 15:27
I've been to Chubu Centrair to take photos of airplanes. I saw a Finnair flight land and take off. Can you not take that flight from Helsinki to Nagoya and avoid Narita altogether?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Connect time international to domestic flight 2019/8/3 16:12
1) Since Chubu is international airport with their own immigration and customs and this is one booking your checked baggage should be tagged directly to Chubu (NGO) and you should receive it only there. And according to Narita webpage your transfer to Chubu should be treated as international transfer so you will probably undergo immigration procedures there as well https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/connect/

If you want to be sure just email Finnair or you can ask the ladies at baggage drop-in counter in Helsinki airport when leaving Finland where you will receive your checked baggage.

3) I think 1,5 hour will be enough time for transfer, especially since both Finnair and JAL are using terminal 2 at Narita.
by haens rate this post as useful

Re: Connect time international to domestic flight 2019/8/3 16:28
No, this is not a case of a domestic transfer being treated as international. The flight from Narita to Nagoya is an ordinary domestic flight, and you will need to pass immigration and customs at Narita before boarding.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Connect time international to domestic flight 2019/8/4 02:13
Hi!

I had a longer layover (a little more than 2 hours) than you, but did NYC to NRT to Itami about a month and a half ago. (It was all on JAL, booked as a single ticket) Yes, you definitely need to get your bags and go through Customs. I personally had my fastest immigration experience ever that trip where it took under 20 minutes. I then had to wait for my bags and head out. There are signs to connecting flights and they just re-check any check-ins before you head to the departure lobby. Security was super fast and easy and I ended up having a good hour + before my flight. The domestic side of NRT seemed really low key (at least for JAL)

My only concern would be immigration, that takes as long as it takes. On the bright side when it is slower you don't need to wait for your bags.

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Connect time international to domestic flight 2019/8/5 07:52
Thanks to everyone! Especially to a rkold :)
by Arturss rate this post as useful

reply to this thread