Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Enter as Tourist w/o activating Student Visa 2019/8/6 15:44
Hello,
I have a huge problem, I think.
One year ago I booked a flight for Japan with my boyfriend to go as tourists on the 11th of this month. In spring I won a scholarship to study at a University in Tokyo. Now, here's the problem: yesterday I got my student visa on my passport, but this weekend I have to leave for Japan as a Tourist, I don't need the authorities to activate my Student Visa now, because after my vacation I have to return to my home country, as I have to move to Tokyo in September and not now.
If they stamp my Student Visa now that I am going for tourism I will not be able to leave Japan, because I cannot obtain a re-enter permit yet, and then I will loose my scholarship. Is it possible to enter Japan without them activating my Student Visa ?
by Gingerlatte  

Re: Enter as Tourist w/o activating Student Visa 2019/8/6 16:28
If they stamp my Student Visa now that I am going for tourism I will not be able to leave Japan, because I cannot obtain a re-enter permit yet

Why not?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enter as Tourist w/o activating Student Visa 2019/8/6 16:32
Because I should first obtain the residence card, which I cannot do this time, because my moving in period at the university starts on the 24th of September, and I canft do it alone.
by Gingerlatte rate this post as useful

Re: Enter as Tourist w/o activating Student Visa 2019/8/6 16:38
You will obtain your residence card at the airport, unless you enter at a smaller one.

Re: Enter as Tourist w/o activating Student Visa 2019/8/6 16:40
And even if you enter at a smaller airport, I'm pretty sure the "residence card will be issued later" stamp is sufficient to obtain a re-entry permit.

Re: Enter as Tourist w/o activating Student Visa 2019/8/6 16:52
Ifm so scared that something could go wrong. Ifve also called the Japan Embassy of my country and they said ggo and try to not get your visa stampedh, but I cannot simply gtryh lol and then they hung up on me.
I donft know what to do...

Re: Enter as Tourist w/o activating Student Visa 2019/8/6 19:28
I think you might also have an other problem. If you plan to buy any of the train passes MOST of them arenft available for residents but only for tourists!!!

Not sure if you can explain to the boarder control that you donft want to enter on your student visa. I wonder though why you already got it in your passport. Wouldnft it have been better to wait until after your holiday?
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enter as Tourist w/o activating Student Visa 2019/8/6 19:29
I didn't know any of these things and no one warned me beforehand..

reply to this thread