Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

a manga artist without a highschool diploma 2019/8/10 01:22
hello hope you all are doing good I'm from Jordan and I have a question to ask

I'm 16 and I want to make serious plans for my future

I'm thinking of dropping school and start working for some years to make money so I can travel to Japan I can't be sure if I can study the language in japan if I didn't I will study it in an official school in Jordan I have planes if I could study the language in japan but if I couldn't i still need to know somethings

if I travelled with a tourist visa can I apply to Japanese manga competitions?
I'm thinking of talking to publishers when I first go to japan and after that, I go back to Jordan and I apply for a working visa is this even possible and can I apply for a working visa and work as an assistant?

thanks a lot
by saku (guest)  

Re: a manga artist without a highschool diploma 2019/8/10 13:34
if I travelled with a tourist visa can I apply to Japanese manga competitions?
Probably

I'm thinking of talking to publishers when I first go to japan and after that, I go back to Jordan and I apply for a working visa is this even possible and can I apply for a working visa and work as an assistant?
NO since you cannot satisfy immigration requirement for 'work visa', even though a company want to hire you.

I'm thinking of dropping school
DON'T

Read this : a foreigner blog experience 'Do you wanna be a mangaka?'
https://hinoai.livejournal.com/792320.html

same question been asked in the forum
https://bit.ly/2YRvZJf
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: a manga artist without a highschool diploma 2019/8/10 18:33
Here is a thought?

(1) Continue school and also learn Japanese

(2) Start an online profile showing your work. Others have done this and have got jobs out of it. Some people even make money through Patreon
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: a manga artist without a highschool diploma 2019/8/11 09:57
Hi!

I actually know Hinoai (the person whose LJ is linked to) personally. She generally tries to give everything a positive spin but looking at it from the outside in... her hours and work situation were brutal. Her pay was not very high, because the assumption was most assistants lived at home with their parents. She lived in a gaijin house with several other foreigners because she could not afford a place on her own. She has a college degree and had previously spent several years as an English language teacher on a work visa before she was able to break into being an assistant. It's really a lot less fun than one would think and you need a high school degree and preferably a college one.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread