Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3-month residency converting driving license 2019/8/17 16:49
I've read plenty of forums and blogs on converting a foreign drivers license to a Japanese one. But did not quite understand what proving residence in my home country for 3 months after obtaining the driving license really -- means in practice?

1. My country of citizenship allows for the direct conversion to a JDL.
2. I've resided in Japan for 5+ years on a spouse visa.
3. I'm able to stay in my home country for the amount it takes to obtain the license, plus three months because I am self-employed in Japan and can work from anywhere.

Does that mean that it's simply enough to have a stamp on my passport that proves that I haven't left my home country for the required three month period?

Or do I have to do the paper work in my home country to get an official residency status for proof?

I would not want to give up my Japanese residence status, even temporarily. Or don't know if that would even be possible without a huge hassle, having a family in Japan and everything.

If someone could please clarify this 3-month rule for someone who wants to go through the legit route of obtaining the license in their home country and then coming back to live/drive in Japan?

Thanks very much,
Chiappa
by chiappa  

Re: 3-month residency converting driving license 2019/8/18 05:53
I think obtained my driving license many years ago in Germany. When I went to get a Japanese driving license (direct conversion) I needed to proof that I resided (I.e. had official residence) in Germany for at least 3 months after having obtained my driving license. In the meantime I had lived many years in Spain and from my passports (even old expired ones) it wasnft clear when and for how long I was living in Germany. So I needed to get a resident certificate from the city in Germany (in German) that proofed from when to when I had been residing there.
With that I could convert to a Japanese driving license.

So I donft think that showing you havenft been in Japan for 3 months will work. You need to show you have lived officially in your driving license ghome countryh at some point after obtaining it for 3 months. Did you???

If yes, you need some kind of proof of it. This could be an old passport or a residence certificate from your old country.

Hope this helps!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3-month residency converting driving license 2019/8/18 07:41
Does that mean that it's simply enough to have a stamp on my passport that proves that I haven't left my home country for the required three month period?

Yes, correct.
You need some proof you lived in your home country at least three months after getting your license. I have my last three (expired) passports and that covered it for me when I went through the same process a couple of years ago. Fortunately the older passports still had actual stamps as my current one does not show my entry/exit for NZ these days.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread