Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/21 07:26
Ifll be moving to Japan soon, Ifll be landing there in a Tuesday afternoon.

I want to know how much time it takes on average to set up an bank account to take money transferences from my home country.

I need to know that to know how much cash Ifll need while i donft have an account to send money to japan. In an emergency I can use a debit card for sure, but in my country debit cards have way too many taxes and a bad exchange rate, so the best option is money transfer, and meanwhile I donft have an account to do so... the best option is taking enough money for the time period Ifll be without a bank account.

Thanks in Advance!
by FELIPE CHAVES DE OLIVEIRA (guest)  

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/21 16:37
best advise is to keep your account in your home country in case.
Opening your account requires several things and requirements.
Are you having someone to support you?
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/21 22:25
https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/things-to-do/how-to-open-a-japanese-bank...

Above is step by step guide on how to open Japan Post bank account.
You'll need an ID ( passport, zairyu card) , maybe a hanko/stamp(you might need to make it at shop), cash to deposit (1,000 yen is good enough). You'll need to fill the form in JAPANESE.
Best if you have someone to help you during that. Can be done within 30 minutes if everything goes smoothly.

need to know that to know how much cash Ifll need while
That no one can tell you because you don't provide any information about what you'll be doing?
Are you going to be a student, working in Japan?
Cash for what? paying rent? eat ramen? maid cafe? buy manga?

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/21 22:36
Yes I will keep my account in my country! The only thing Ifm trying to avoid here is using my debit card, since that will make me waste money.

And the gmoney I will need while I canft transferh is something I will calculate myself based on how long Ifll be there without a Japanese account, it was not meant to be a question.

Thanks a lot for the helpful info!!
by Felipe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/21 22:38
Ifll be a student and Ifll need money to
Support myself while I canft transfer it to a Japanese account, so Ifll bring some cash. Plus Ifll pay first monthfs rent in cash as well.

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/21 22:45
Ifll be a student and Ifll need money to
Support myself while I canft transfer it to a Japanese account, so Ifll bring some cash. Plus Ifll pay first monthfs rent in cash as well.

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/21 23:41
you can open only ”ñ‹ZŽÒ‰~—a‹à, an account for non-residents, when your resident term in Japan is less than 6 months. there are many restrictions to use it.
please confirm that the bank accepts money transfer from outside of Japan to your non-resident account. (they clearly say that you can't send money to outside of Japan during that term. but, it is unclear about receiving money. I am afraid you can't.)
I think your zairyu card must have an address (register your address at city office). you may need to have your "my number" (the number for tax purpose) to receive money from outside of Japan. also, you may be requested to show your student ID, which is issued by your school, when you are in student status. (when you open an account in JP bank.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/22 01:07
Apart from Japan Post an other foreigner friendly bank is Shinsei. I opened an account there (in one of their offices) and got my banking card immediately (if memory doesnft fail me). Later on I also opened an account at Citibank (now Prestia) because I was able to get a credit card through them.

As far as I know you need to be a resident in Japan (or at least I was). There might be other options as well, but as you write youfll be a student I assume youfll be a resident.

Regarding transferring money depending from
where you transfer it, you could use Transferwise which makes that both your outgoing transfer as well as the incoming one are local transfers only. It will take a few days and it requires you to register with your passport (as far as I remember)

Regarding paying your first rent. Please get information how much that is going to be. If you rent on the free market you often have to pay something like 5 months of rent before moving in: 2 months of rent, deposit, thank you money, agency fee... But for a student accommodation that might be different. Just ask if you already know where you will stay.

Enjoy your life in Japan.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/22 08:51
I have a Shinsei account, and while the account opening and cash card issuing process was very fast, they threw a couple of obstacles in the way. For their accounts:
- You need a Japan mobile phone number or land line with a contract in your name. To get a phone number, you need to be resident. While I had a Japan 050 number, that was not sufficient, and the Yodobashi/BicCamera store I went to to get a voice sim was really difficult to deal with - took two hours to get it set up.
- For inward remittances you will need a "MyNumber" card. They take a while to issue. I have just had mine re-done, took a month.
- And while the cash card is issued on the spot, you can't use it until the pin number arrives in the post several days later. (And then JapanPost didn't put the delivery failure notice in my mailbox, so it took me three weeks to get it.)

And, yes, residency less than one year is going to make things harder.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/22 09:13
Thanks for the replies again!

Yeah, of course I will have my debit card if everything goes wrong, but that will have me paying too many taxes and getting the worst exchange rates ever.

I will originally stay for only 6 months, maybe Ifll make it longer after Ifm in japan, but by now Ifll have a 6 months visa, so maybe that can be a problem huh.

As for the mobile phone, I think Ifll order a sim from Mobal, they are more expensive than the ones Japanese people actually use, but they are easier to get, order online and get it when I land in the airport, then activate it online. It gives you a actual 070, 080 Japanese number. Itfs meant for foreigners, but itfs slightly more expensive.

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/23 04:38
Travelers checks.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long to set up a bank account in japan? 2019/8/23 09:37
Mobal have some mixed customer reactions - do some research on how good/bad they actually are first.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread