Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying/Living in Japan 2019/8/23 03:34
Hello, I have always wanted to work in Japan, but never really knew which path to take to get there. Right after high school, I went to university and would just be starting my junior year, but am taking a break to decide if I am truly pursuing things the right way. I am getting a degree in Japanese Studies and English, but realize that my Japanese isn't improving as much as I would like for it to and yes, I know English is a generic degree. I believe I am wasting my time here in the States and I am becoming a college burnout because I do not believe I am taking the right path and it's hard to see a goal. I do not want to be a foreigner who can only land an English teaching job and is unable to progress in the Japanese language. I believe it would be more practical to either pursue a degree or go to language school via GoGoNihon, but want to know if these are good ideas if I am pursuing permanent residency in Japan. I no longer want to pursue the degree program I am pursuing in America. I have saved $40,000 and would appreciate advice on if GoGoNihon is the right path, what other program to look into that I can afford, or if there is a cheaper program. I have researched a lot, but admit that I am quite lost and would appreciate advice from someone with experience. I just want to be able to live and work in Japan. Any advice is highly appreciated.
by Cassiopeia5  

Re: Studying/Living in Japan 2019/8/23 11:54
First you need to know if Japan is really suitable for you.
Japan is not only anime, manga or gadgets. You need to work hard and proof you are worth.

Secondly, entering a language school is a good start. You can do some part time job next to your study, if the school gives you space for that.
Also having a degree is important in Japan, and being specialized or introduce yourself why a company should choose you.

Another way is to get a company to sponsor your work visa but you need to fulfill the company's requirements.

Most foreigners coming to Japan start with teaching, manufacturing or other simple work.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Studying/Living in Japan 2019/8/23 15:19
Research the conditions for work visa. It depends on the kind of it, but in general you need to have a university degree.
This degree could come from anywhere and in any topic. Plus you need an actual job offer. Which is hard to get if you donft have any specific experience. For this reason so many foreigners end up coming as English teachers.

Getting a student visa and studying Japanese at one of the many Japanese language schools can be good to BE in Japan for about 2 yrs (which is approximately the time a Westerner needs to learn Japanese to fluency) and be able to work part time. However if then you want to stay in Japan you still need a university degree. So youfd need to add some years in university to it. Either in Japan or somewhere else. If in Japan searching for a job in Japan will be easier.

But overall itfs a long way from now. We are probably talking 5-6 years of studying before you can hope to land an entry level job in Japan.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying/Living in Japan 2019/8/23 16:00
Thank you, but I am not a weeaboo. I do not consume anime or manga and actually appreciate Japan for it's culture. I know its not going to be a walk in the park. I appreciate the advice and have decided to transfer universities in the U.S. to finish my bachelors and then proceed from there.
by Cassiopeia5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread