Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student visa count for Naturalization? 2019/8/23 20:42
A requirement for naturalization to Japan is to live in Japan for 5 years.

I have lived in Japan for 6 years, but 4 of those years were as a student. Many websites say that a student visa cannot count towards naturalization (so I would only have 2 years, not 6).

However, this lawyer's video [at 6:20] says that a student visa can count, as long as you've also worked full time for 3 years. This would mean that I could apply next year (3yr work visa + 2yr student visa).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWgVH1Amhpw&t=6m20s

Can time lived in Japan on a student visa count towards naturalization? Which is the correct answer?
by virtual700fox (guest)  

Re: Student visa count for Naturalization? 2019/8/24 14:36
Talk to someone in –@–±‹Ç and you'll get your answer straight there.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa count for Naturalization? 2019/8/24 16:53
Ministry of Justice doesnft seem to have hard rules about this, but in consideration of substantiating that the applicant is capable of supporting themselves on a stable basis, they seem to consider gat least 3 years of full-time workingh as an appropriate gguideline.h

So one year later, youfd have been living in Japan continuously for 7 years, including first 4 years as student then the most recent 3 years working? Then that should suffice. (Some law firmsf websites say that you need to have 5 years working, but the g3 years workh seems to be applied to those who came to Japan to work then started working in Japan right after studying.)
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread