Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lotus: Difference between Ren and Hasu 2019/8/24 04:54
This is a two part question:

Part 1. I'm American. I'm interested in legally changing my first name to Ren (@). When I type the Haragana character into Google Translate, it says that it is pronounced "Hasu"... not "Ren".

Why is this?

Part 2. I am also interested in changing my surname to "Abe" ({). From the perspective of a Japanese person, is the name @{ unusual? Is it highly unusual for a foreigner to have a 100% Japanese name?

Thank you for your insight!

by Jonazenmaster  

Re: Lotus: Difference between Ren and Hasu 2019/8/24 11:58
You are confused about many things...

1. @ is a kanji character, not hiragana ("haragana" does not exist). Like most kanji, it can be read in several ways, including "ren" snd "hasu".

2. If you change your name to "Ren", you change your name to "Ren", not to "@". By which I mean, the kanji character will just be a vanity thing with no legal value. This is true even if you live in Japan, unless you become a Japanese citizen.

3. @{ would be extremely unusual. {@, probably less so. By which I mean, you got the order wrong: in Japanese, the family name comes first. It should be obvious that it is extremely rare for a foreigner to have a Japanese name, unless they are of Japanese ancestry.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lotus: Difference between Ren and Hasu 2019/8/24 12:28
Assuming you will remain American, if you change your name, it will be with the US authorities, not with the Japanese authorities. In this case, only alphabet writing of the name would be allowed. Writing it with kanji will be only for your own use. Your passport would say gRen Abeh with no kanji given.
If you ever come to live in Japan, and eventually decide to naturalize into a Japanese citizen, then {@@ might be a way to write it.

1. If you enter (in hiragana) and hit gconverth, one of the kanji that appears would be @. And this kanji has more than one greadings,h one of which is gren,h and another is ghasu.h Nothing is strange about it.
2. It will be { (family name) @ (given name). I have not heard of this name in my life so far (Japanese here), but canft say if it is gunusualh or grareh or anything like that. But yes, it is highly unusual for a foreigner to have a 100% Japanese name, unless theyfve naturalized.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Lotus: Difference between Ren and Hasu 2019/8/24 14:27
And that is why you don't go naming or tattooyourself in language that you don't have a clue that you are doing...

Onyomi and kunyomi, kanji have different reading/pronounciation depends on ...
https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/onyomi-kunyomi/
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Lotus: Difference between Ren and Hasu 2019/8/25 00:49
Thanks everyone for your insight! I think I will probably wait until I become a naturalized citizen before changing my name.
by Jonazenmaster rate this post as useful

reply to this thread