Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/5 13:48
Hello, I am a Canadian nationality who is working in South Korea and planning to relocate to Japan for my career.

I am currently waiting for my Certificate of Eligibility to drop. My agent told me it will take at the longest 3 months but due to my company situation, they want to send me to Japan for 2 to 3 weeks for training purposes THIS MONTH.

My problem is that it's illegal to work in Japan without a proper visa. When the immigration sees my passport when I hand in my CoE, I'm afraid of the possibility they may suspect illegal activity ("why was he in Japan for so long right before he got his visa") something like that. Will it be ok and am I worrying too much? Should I try to stop my boss?

Thank you for your time in answering my question. It is very appreciated.
by Ken (guest)  

Re: Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/5 18:57
on a tourist visa you may not do any activities in which you will receive money or other way of compensation. If you get paid for the training, no matter if company is paying you outside Japan, you are working.

In this case a business visa is appropriated

I would not take the risk to get problem with not having the correct visa.
This can impact your current application, penalty and/or even a ban from Japan.

I do not understand why you work allows this kind of activity and put you in a certain position.
They need to prepare the correct documentation and visa.

You CoE does not take maximum 3 months, it may take up to 3 months, can be faster or longer.

I hope you make the correct decision. Good luck with your work in Japan :)
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/5 19:23
regarding CoE, My wife did all the paperwork and my application was IN on December 19
My Certificate was issued on February .

The time immigration takes to issue one CoE is unknown ... case by case
by storm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/5 19:29
Hi Ken

I agree with PP-this is really your employer's issue-if they want you to go to Japan for training they need to work it out with the immigration department.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/5 22:16
Are you already working at this company?
And are you currently a Korean (or Canadian) employee? (i.e. have contract there)

As far as I understand when you go for a business trip to Japan, you can work in Japan, but you are an employee in your "origin" country. In your case likely South Korea if that's where you are currently an employee. So you get paid in South Korea.

But if you are not YET working at the new company then the question is more tricky and I guess it boils down to if you are getting paid for the training or not. If yes, I think it is a no-go, if no, well, then you should be free to come to Japan on a visitor visa and learn some new skill while you are there.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/6 08:53
Business trip to Japan for attending a training means a business visa is required.
This falls outside the scope of a tourist visa.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/6 09:18
Make sure you get the right visa type. Intra-company transfer, working visa or business category - depends on the arrangement.
And if your employer is sending you to work illegally, without the correct paper-work, that's dodgy.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/7 13:31
—LikeBike

I am a Canadian nationality, so I am registered as a Canadian employee. I am working at a Korean company but I am scheduled to relocate to the Japanese branch of the same company after my visa arrives.

According to this site(below), going to Japan with a normal tourist visa for business meetings, etc. is legally allowed. But I am going to Japan for training purposes under the same company which I am already hired into. I will probably get paid if I go, but is going with these circumstances still illegal? I want to make the correct legal decision in the end.

https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/japan-visa#Japan_tourist_visa
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will the immigration become suspicious? 2019/9/7 15:34
"I will probably get paid"
when Japanese branch pays you, it is illegal. you have to pay Japanese income tax, but you are not a worker in Japan. in this case, the payment is labor expense.
when Korean branch pays you, it is legal, because Korean branch sends you to Japan. you pay Korean income tax.

but, there are tricks. when Japanese branch only pays you your necessary expenses, i.e. airplane tickets, hotel fee, and so on. (so, you don't earn extra money. they compensate your paid expense.) it is legal, because it is not labor expense.
those are very basic rules for internship. I am sure that the branch knows this.
by another ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread