Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

WHV - 90 days to register a permanent address 2019/9/12 00:02
Hi, this topic has been somewhat and only briefly discussed by others who still seem unsure on how to go about this (see links at bottom), but I thought if more people who have been in a similar situation can discuss it here and thus the information combined that would be a great idea. I will also update this link with my experience once I enter Japan this October for the benefit of future and current travellers :)

I planned to travel around Japan for about 3-6 months (sightseeing, volunteering, wwoofing etc) and only stay at places for 1-2 weeks at a time to get the most out of all Japan has to offer. I then wanted to 'settle' for 1-4 months and find a job and finish up by travelling around Japan for the last few months. I understand the need for the residency card and do not want to break the law or give myself a bad record. I may consider working in Japan long-term and getting a working visa in the future. The people in the links have discussed some options but I am uncertain of some:
1) give your address of the hotel/air bnb (or in my case that of the farm) you stay at as the permanent residency, tell you are expecting post and wait until you get your certificate of residency. Q: won't the hotel/air bnb/other place receive further letters e.g. for residency tax and health insurance tax etc in your name? I find this option unfair to the unbeknownst owners of the place you picked as a fake permanent address and would never want myself to cause issues to those kind enough to take me in on volunteering schemes. Or will they will never really know you have picked them as the chosen epermanentf residency? I guess if they move out they may face issues and also may be taxed extra due to an extra person living there. I am not familiar with Japanfs taxes system.
2) Arrive in Japan and don't do the above - just travel around having a blast without worrying about the residency card (but keep it with you!). And then to comply with the immigration office rules, find a epermanentf address within 90 days of arrival and pray that the local ward you arrive at are okay with this and don't take you to court/fine you/deport you. This seems risky as well as it seems each ward and even local office have different rules.
3) Have your permanent address set as the place of a friend or family relative in Japan (this is not an option for me and probably many others). This is a great option for those who are lucky - you just need to make sure you go to their local ward office to register. Then if you want to set up a more permanent residence elsewhere in Japan just be aware that you will need to travel back to the same local ward office to 'move out'. This is the best option for those who want to really backpack around Japan, but again it is annoying that you may need to spend a fair bit of money and time making sure you get to and then back from their local office. Hurray if you can do this!
4) Play it safe and do exactly what's needed (completing the move in and move out forms) even if it's only for a week or so. A problem I can see happening with this is that the local ward may reject a '1/2 week' address as epermanentf means 3 months or more. Imagine going in to register a move in address and at the same time completing a move out form. If that's what it takes, I will just do that every 1-2 weeks and hope my basic Japanese can pull me through the weekly/fortnightly ordeal. Also, there are apparently only 7 spaces on the residency card which could get filled up within 3-4 months and assume I will then need to travel to the nearest immigration office to get a new one - another pain in the butt.

I do not want to complain and I am fully capable of doing the above - I just thought it would be nice to combine some of these issues and hopefully get other peoplefs experiences together in one place.

Holiday is in the title of the working holiday visa right? Even the UK embassy website emphasises the holiday part and not so much the work part. What happened to the holiday part if you have to be confined to set places?

Thanks for any help or advice given.

https://somejapan.com/how-to-register-your-permanent-address-in-japan-when-you-dont-have-one/
https://chopsticksontheloose.com/working-holiday-visa-japan-guide/
by Jenny across Japan  

Re: WHV - 90 days to register a permanent address 2019/9/12 10:27
If you don't have a permanent address, it's perfectly okay to not register one. It is, however, not okay to register an address where you don't actually live (except for a short period between moving out and filing the move-out notification).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: WHV - 90 days to register a permanent address 2019/9/13 09:26
1. OP misuses the words. foreigners need to register "present address".
2. generally speaking, hotel, hostel, hospital and airbnb are not expected as an address which is registered. if you want to register those address, you need to get a permit from the owner. (probably, you can't get a permission, because they are afraid of future troubles.) when you register an address without permission, you may not be able to get letters from city office or a bank, etc.(you will have troubles, too.)
3. I think there is no limitation by when you have to register an address. if you don't register an address, you may escape form some payments, but may lose some benefit.
4. I advise you buy a health insurance for travelers at least, for emergencies, if you plan not to register an address.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread