Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fuji, Hakone & Kamakura solo travel hack 2019/9/30 19:56
I am a solo traveler and first time visiting Fuji, Hakone, and Kamakura for 2/3 days.

Though I have made my reservation to stay in Tokyo for 7 days and purchase Hakone Kamakura pass, traveling back and forth to Tokyo might be costlier and time-consuming. My reservation can be adjusted.

My initial itinerary is:
1st day - Fuji, Kawaguchiko, Gotemba stay in Hakone for a night or 2.
2nd day - Hakone.
3rd day - Kamakura, head back to Tokyo.

But if possible I can squeeze Fuji and part of Hakone in 1st day. 2nd day the rest of Hakone and Kamakura?

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Even though I have Hakone Kamakura pass, would you suggest using it from Kamakura bound to Shinjuku instead of Romancecar train express?
by Jenar Idn (guest)  

Re: Fuji, Hakone & Kamakura solo travel hack 2019/10/1 10:18
I would stick with a day per location. Too much to see.

I have done them all as day trips from Tokyo before with issue.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fuji, Hakone & Kamakura solo travel hack 2019/10/1 13:57
Thanks for the suggestion @Hakata14.

You've mentioned all of these places you've done all through day trips, time and money-wise; I don't need to book for an overnight stay in between these places?
by Jenar Idn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fuji, Hakone & Kamakura solo travel hack 2019/10/1 14:50
Hi!

I'd say it sort of depends on the experience you want, whether you want to book for an overnight trip.

I think part of what people tend to like about Hakone is the whole staying in a ryokan and using the onsen and special meals aspect of it, and not just the tourist sights and varying forms of conveyance.

And while I've not stayed there overnight, Kamakura I would imagine is completely different at night and in the morning when all the tourists leave to go back to Tokyo and Yokohama. The same would hold true for Kawaguchiko.

But again, it's really about what you want to experience and what you are getting out of your trip. Kamakura and Odawara are pretty close together. It's only about 1 hour between Kamakura and Hakone-Yumoto Station and it is also about the same traveling time to Shinjuku or Tokyo Station. At that point, if you want to do Hakone and Kamakura, it would make sense not to backtrack to Tokyo and just go to whichever destination is next (if you start at Hakone go to Kamakura and if you start at Kamakura go to Hakone.)

You don't have to stay overnight in each one, but I also wouldn't back track each day because you are backtracking.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread