Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Options for registering my address in Japan 2019/10/3 18:53
In April 2020, I'll be going to japan on a long-term visa for school. Requirements say that I am required to register my address at a ward office within 14 days of arriving to Japan. It'd be ideal to be able to find an affordable place to stay that I can apply to overseas, but it seems almost impossible, so I plan to stay somewhere short-term (a couple weeks to a month) while apartment searching for somewhere a bit more permanent.

So, what kind of place can i register as my address? Can I register my address if i'm staying at an airbnb (or similar short-term rental), or will I have to find a place that will rent to me for only one month like Leopalace? I read somewhere that i can't register an airbnb or similar company as my address, but I've also read that I can do that so I'm not sure what to trust.

Thanks for your time & replies!
by CollegeStudent (guest)  

Re: Options for registering my address in Japan 2019/10/4 08:42
it is required to give an address within 14 days.
So yes you need to give the address you will be staying.
If you move out to another address you need to inform you new address accordingly.

All can be done at the city hall.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Options for registering my address in Japan 2019/10/4 10:25
"I am required to register my address at a ward office within 14 days of arriving to Japan.”
I don't think so.
"within 14 days after you decide the address"
住居地を定めた日から14日以内に
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Options for registering my address in Japan 2019/10/4 11:04
Oh, okay thanks to the both of you. Will I be able to register an airbnb as my residence though? Because that's what I'm going to stay in for a few weeks until I can find a more permanent place.

Thanks again for your helpful answers!
by CollegeStudent (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Options for registering my address in Japan 2019/10/12 23:17
about registering address, you need to pick a city hall to do so, which will correspond with your address. This is where you'll go for insurance, tax, etc. My advice is to get the school to find you a place and register at the city hall near the school.
by norida (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread