Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving. What do I do with my spouse visa? 2019/10/11 13:05
Hello all :)

I am currently happily married living in Japan on a spouse visa.
My spouse and I would like to move to my home country for at least a few years, possibly forever.
Do I need to contact immigration to let them know that I will be leaving Japan and I do not want my spouse visa renewed? Or am I able to just leave before it expires without consequence?

I would like to visit Japan perhaps once a year just on a regular tourist visa is fine. Will that still be possible after I give up my spouse visa?

Also, if we do plan to move back to Japan after a few years will I be able to apply for a spouse visa again?

Thank you all for your time :)
by coeryo  

Re: Moving. What do I do with my spouse visa? 2019/10/11 15:12
You also need to inform your residing city hall, tax office, insurance and others.
https://blog.gaijinpot.com/leaving-japan-things-you-need-to-do/

You can inform the immigration at the airport about your decision to leave Japan/cancelling your spouse status. You can return the resident card or keep it (will be punch a hole to void it).
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving. What do I do with my spouse visa? 2019/10/11 21:32
Just to add to the PP. Once you are no longer a resident, you can come to Japan as a tourist. So depending on your nationality you might need a visa for that, or you can simply travel to Japan.

If you decide to move back to Japan you start all over again to get a new spouse visa.

I think the only way how to avoid loosing your residency status is to get PR. Once you have PR you can leave Japan for some years (I think max 5 years) to live somewhere else, but you maintain the PR. Obviously becoming PR needs some time.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread