Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working and living in Japan 2019/11/15 01:30
Good morning/evening everyone!
I was seriously thinking to make a difference in my life and maybe take a new step to a different destination..
I just wanted to ask how’s life in Japan? I was watching many videos on YouTube recently and all gave me that feeling to just go for it ..
Is it true life in Japan is so expensive that you can’t even save any money?
I’m waiting for my bachelor degree which will be ready soon( MBBS) ..
I want to work and live in Japan for one year? I want to know about the options.
Thanks in advance.
by Janan182  

Re: Working and living in Japan 2019/11/15 07:24
Is it true life in Japan is so expensive that you can’t even save any money?

For some people it is; for others it isn't. It depends on how much you earn and on how much you spend...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working and living in Japan 2019/11/15 08:51
Have you ever been to Japan our only to YouTube? Before taking such a life changing decision and going through all the work to find a job in Japan, get a visa and all, I would come to the actual country at least once.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working and living in Japan 2019/11/15 10:10
Just in case you did not look that information:
Your MMBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) in actually useless in Japan. You won't be able to work in Japanese medical system with a foreign degree related to medicine.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working and living in Japan 2019/11/15 10:40
「Is it true life in Japan is so expensive that you can’t even save any money?」
Are you seriously asking if everyone who lives in Japan has a savings rate of zero? No, that's not the case. How could any country/economy be stable if it was?

「I want to work and live in Japan for one year?」
I...I don' know. Do you?
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working and living in Japan 2019/11/15 11:05
If you are still young and from the right country - I'd look into possibly getting a Working Holiday visa. Many degrees are not that transferrable in Japan unless you have a good working knowledge of the language - specifically reading AND writing. Many people teach English in Japan but there is an increase in people wanting to do this job (I think) but a slowly reducing clientele (less kids = less jobs).

When I set up in Japan, I found is very expensive to set up as you need to pay a few months rent and most apartments come with nothing - you even need to buy light fittings. However, once you are set up it's not that expensive. It's possible to spend a lot of money in Japan, but the local food options are often nice enough to the western palette that you can live comfortably and relatively cheaply by a western standard.

Fruit prices in winter was probably my biggest bugbear but I was also on a very comfortable wage when I was in Japan (not CEO but not family mart worker). Learn to enjoy Mikans (small oranges) for your winter fruit fix!
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread