Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving in Japan for Nigerian 2019/11/20 09:27
Hello, I am a new resident in Japan from Nigeria on some research fellowship. I discovered upon my arrival here that I need a car to make life easier for me and my family but I heard getting drive in Japan is a herculean task. These are my specific questions which I need help from experienced Nigerian already living and driving in Japan.

Firstly, I was told my international driver's license issue from Nigeria (the card type) is not accepted in Japan. Is this true?

How do I converted my local license from Nigeria to Japanese License?
I read on this forum that I need to do authentication/letter from Nigeria embassy in Tokyo- so, what is the authentication all about? Can I do it with the local Japanese license office in my prefecture without going to Tokyo?

Please kindly help with information on these queries. Thank you.
Best regards
by Achadu  

Re: Driving in Japan for Nigerian 2019/11/20 10:57
There are several countries which just have to pay a fee and do an eye exam.
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, or the United Kingdom.

All residents coming from other countries have to take a written and driving test.
The written exam is very easy. It will be true or false questions in English if preferable, about road rules and signs.

For the actual driving you need to find a driving school who can give in English if you do not speak Japanese.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan for Nigerian 2019/11/20 12:50
In addition to above ..

https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+161585
OP, I think you may be referring to above post.

Not sure about authentication letter from embassy about your license, but
you will need a Japanese translation of your Nigerian driving license. Best check/confirm with your license center at your place for required documents and procedure.

Another very important thing is the 90days rule. You need to proof that you have stayed for 90 days or longer in the issuing country(Nigeria) after having obtained your driving license.
A lot of foreigner will encounter this problem, and depends on the license center, some are very strict in proofing the 90 days. Old Passport, license, driving license renewal history etc. will be helpful.

Switching from Foreign Driver's License to Japanese Driver's License
http://www.pref.kyoto.jp/fukei/foreign/s_men1/gaimen/index.html

Guide on DRIVING IN JAPAN AND PASSING THE DRIVER'S TEST
http://www.supermelf.com/japan/ajetdrivingbook/DrivinginJapanandPassin...
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan for Nigerian 2019/11/20 12:51
You should have an International Driving Permit (not something called an international license). If you have a "card type", you need to get the booklet type issued and sent to you.
Check https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/country/nigeria/

Copied from the web:
Japan is only affiliated with the 1949 Geneva Convention, and Nigeria is also affiliated with the 1949 Geneva Convention. Therefore, if Nigeria issues a international driving permit (IDP) under the 1949 Geneva Convention in the proper format, it is valid to drive in Japan.

An international driving permit (IDP) which is not under the 1949 Geneva Convention in the proper format is not valid in Japan.

The Specifics regrading the format under the 1949 Geneva Convention.
(1)Must be in a small booklet form, not a card type or paper type.
(2)Nigeria must recongnize the agent or agency that is issuing the international driving permit (IDP).
(3)The classfication must be from ``d
(4)Must be 18 years old or older.

The validity of the international driving permit is 1 year from the date the permit has been issued, and also 1 year from the date of your arrival in Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan for Nigerian 2019/11/20 12:56
Czechoslovakia

Party like it's 1991!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread