Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/25 19:37
Hi, I want to go to a family onsen the first week of December with my wife and four year old. We prefer to use suits. And would like a place with different baths and a restaurant/cafe.

Can anybody recommend a good one? Preferably 'nearby' Tokyo station/city center
by Lodyb  

Re: Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/26 11:35
We prefer to use suits

You don't seem to understand the concept of onsen. You are supposed to be naked even in the private ones at hotels because of hygiene.
I regurarly see naked fathers with very young kids at Monogatari onsen in Ooedo-Onsen Monogatari.

A onsen with suits? Sounds like a swimming pool to me.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/26 14:28
The only "onsen" I know of that requires swim suits, is Yunessun in Hakone has a swim suit section. It's not a true onsen experience, it's more like a theme park. I think it's cheezy but also fun, but not anywhere close to authentic. Their Mori no Yu which is naked and sex segregated is styled more like an authentic experience, though it also still has some of the theme park trappings.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/26 14:46
I know one gonsenh in Tokyo that has a swimming suit part.

niwanoyu.jp

As for the PPs, wearing a swimming suit and onsen Are two different concepts for me and I am quite sure that the water in the swimming suit part isnft onsen water but just water.

It has an onsen part , ie makes and gender separated and a non onsen part which odd in swim suits and not segregated. I have only been to the onsen part as I never bring a swim suit to Japan. But I think the water in the non onsen part is also warm. Ie itfs not a swimming pool.

To my knowledge there is nothing like this close to Tokyo station. But at least this one is very close to a metro station.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/26 15:46
Makes = naked
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/26 15:56
The only place that comes to mind is away fromTokyo, but Yunessun inHakone. That is more swimming pools/spa.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/26 18:47
It's a bath to relax in. Do you wear a swimsuit in your bath or shower? No, you don't. If you don't want to be naked, don't go. It'd be like requesting sushi without rice.
by ...! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/27 01:33
I just remembered an other one. I never went, because it is mainly with swimming suits, and that's not an onsen for me.

But there is this Enoshima Island Spa on Enoshima (which is close to Kamakura):
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3117.html
https://enoshimaislandspa.com/enospa/facilities/

I think the Fuji view is only from the swimming suit part, at least that's what I remember. I went once with the intention to get inside, but when I asked at the reception about the onsen part, I learned that it was rather small, didn't have a rotenburo and all the nicer parts are swimming suit only, and I didn't have a swimming suit nor was a specially interested in that. So I went to an other onsen (well super-sento) in Kozashibuya instead.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Family onsen in Tokyo 2019/11/27 01:40
And well, then there is Takaragawa-onsen in Gunma prefecture.

https://www.takaragawa.com/english.html

I have never gone. It looks nice and it has huge out door, real onsen pools. They are generally mixed gender and until last year that meant naked men and women in a kind of towel dress. But from this year I learned that also the men get something to wear. So while it is NOT a swim suit, it is still wearing something. I think there were simply too many foreigners going to Takaragawa -onsen and they have now given in to that demand to not being naked. For me the idea to sit around with a towel dress, half wet is very unappealing. So while this onsen in the middle of the nature look great, the requirement to wear something is totally off putting for me. But that's me.

Takaragawa onsen would be at least a day trip from Tokyo.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread