Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing status with CoE 2019/12/9 14:23
Hi!

After one month of waiting my father in law received my CoE (visa for 3 years). My question is, can I apply from temporary visitor to spouse visa in Japan with my CoE? I'm worried the paper get lost by the post office of my country.

Also here is the answer from immigration but I'm not sure to understand it correctly : "Changing of your status of residence from Temporary Visitor to others, in principle, is not allowed and there must be a justifiable reason urging you to change your status of residence as an exception. If you get the Certificate of Eligibility while you stay in Japan, it is not prohibited to go to the Regional Immigration Services Bureau for consulting about the possibility of change of your status of residence."

Thank you!
by Trev437 (guest)  

Re: Changing status with CoE 2019/12/9 16:15
Simple said you can not change the CoE.
If you want you need to cancel and apply again.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Changing status with CoE 2019/12/9 16:37
If your problem is postal service in your country, why not use a courier service? Costs a bit extra, but itfs way more reliable.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing status with CoE 2019/12/9 17:18
The proper procedure for you is to ask your father-in-law to send the CoE to you by postal service (or other courier service), you receive it in your country, then you apply for a visa at the Embassy of Japan in your country, and you enter Japan with that visa.

What they are saying is that unless you have a very pressing reason to apply for the change in Japan, they donft want you to apply for the change in Japan. They seem to allow it if CoE gets issued while you are in Japan, but since it has been issued already (to your in-law), you should follow the above procedure.

Ask your father-in-law to first take a photocopy of the CoE document so that gjust in caseh it ever gets lost, at least there will be a record with its issuance number and your name on it. And also ask him to send it via courier service.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread