Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ways to meet new people in Tokyo 2019/12/13 16:11
Ifm pretty new to Tokyo and am looking for suggestions on ways to meet some new friends outside of work, both Japanese and other expats.
Ifm an engineer, 36, Ifve worked in many places around the world and always found it easy to make friends, but not here. Any suggestions?
by Andy1983  

Re: Ways to meet new people in Tokyo 2019/12/13 17:10
https://www.meetup.com/topics/tokyo/jp/tokyo/

or just drop in any izakaya and start talking to the person next to you.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to meet new people in Tokyo 2019/12/13 17:42
HUB, tinder, meet ups, 300 bar
by nanpa :) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to meet new people in Tokyo 2019/12/13 19:14
I definitely recommend the izakayas to meet people.
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to meet new people in Tokyo 2019/12/13 21:45
If you like cycling a little bit , come to our next Night Pedal Cruising:

https://www.meetup.com/Tokyo-Night-Pedal-Cruising-NPC/events/266779812...

And many more groups on Meetup.

If you like hiking the gJapan Day trips/weekend tripsh group is very active. They have about one activity every weekend. (I only went once. Donft like hiking, but like cycling)

Enjoy your life in Tokyo!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to meet new people in Tokyo 2019/12/14 04:43
As others have mentioned, become a regular at an Izakaya. Let the taisho and other patron's know that you want to improve your Japanese. Finding something in common, like a hobby or interest, with others is another way. Do this by joining a sports league, going to live music events, or conventions. Basically, go to places where like minded people might be and strike up a conversation. Attending or even getting involved in community events is another. And make sure you connect with the people you meet on Line, FB, etc.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

Re: Ways to meet new people in Tokyo 2019/12/14 22:19
I agree with Taco Grande that you can make friends where like minded people go, but just to add, (A) it doesn't have to be a drinking place and (B) you don't have to connect through social media.

A lot of small cafes and restaurants in the neighborhood have a sort of a community, and is a great place to exchange information about the neighborhood. I'm a drinking person, but I prefer going for tea or supper to meet people, because it's healthier and you get to talk to non-drinkers as well. Take a good walk around the neighborhood to hunt your favorite place.

Speaking of neighborhoods, the "cho-nai-kai" (neighborhood association) typically hold events which all neighbors are free to come. There are also a lot of non-profit events designed for residents. Look out for information on the "kairanban" (circulated bulletin) or "keijiban" (street bulletin board).

The thing is that, in Japan, it's common for people to be long-term friends without even knowing each other's full names or home addresses. I have to admit I'm old (58), but all the people I've become good friends with were either never connected through social media or were connected way after our friendship became solid.

If you could tell us how you've made friends in other countries, perhaps someone could suggest something similar.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread