Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/13 19:45
Hi, im a us citizen and have lived in japan for about 4 years

Recently my wife (japanese) has chosen divorce, and i had a child with her. Initially the divorce is mutual but i want to stay in the country for my kid.

There is a spouse/child of japanese national , which i have. But is there another visa i can get because my son is japanese? I considered pr but i dont think i can meet the deadline and apply in time. Additionally i am losing my job so.. im kinda of in trouble.

Some one said there was a long term resident one, but they were from the Philippines so this wouldnt be for me.

Any help on this would be welcome. Before anyone asks, Not i do not have a university degree.
by Joe (guest)  

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/14 11:59

https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+169707
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+169240

You got either 2 option, change status to 'work' related (you need your employer/company assistance) or long term.
Long term will be best option if you have a child. Read above link.

Some one said there was a long term resident one, but they were from the Philippines so this wouldnt be for me.
Not true, it does matter to you. long term is restricted to those from the Philippines.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/14 14:16
Long-term resident status is not limited to a nationality. I believe it is applicable to you if you can say that you have had considerable time of your life based in Japan (and you intend to continue living here), and that you need to be living in Japan to support your child.

Would your wife be willing to help you by staying married to you until you complete your PR application? (Not promoting the idea of staying married just for the sake of visa, but I would say that would not outrageous considering she has been your partner for some years and that you hope to stay in Japan.)
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/14 16:00
you need to be living in Japan to support your child

That's the thing. OP will be losing his job, so how will he support himself, let alone his child? He needs to find a new job first, possibly using the six-month "grace period" of the spouse status after divorce.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/14 17:30
edit :

Not true, it does matter to you. long term is notrestricted to those from the Philippines.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/17 03:10
Wow thanks for the feedback so far.

Actually I want to quote you all but I do appreciate the help.

So actually my yesterday ex wife turned in the divorce papers to city hall. As for my company I already gave them the resignation notice and though I could maybe get rehired because they understand my situation I have another offer lined up if I canft but if Ifm leaving no point to try.

PR: my visa expires April, isnft it up to 6 months to process?

I intend to support my kid even if I canft stay in Japan. My ex and I are ending on positive terms. She said according to the immigration lawyer she spoke to I can stay until the visa expires and to try to find another visa because she does want our son to meet me especially if itfs emergency.

Last time I checked, long term resident visas for American citizens seemed limited to second and third generation Japanese according to this site

https://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/travel_and_visa/visa/other...

BUT it says etc; maybe that includes my case? Itfs a bit vague..

Itfs really frustrating, I lived here almost 5 years and had a stable life. Now my return comes with more problems, like no address to set up bank, job, etc;

Anyways I will keep looking.

by Joe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/17 03:51
If you have a job offer, that makes things easier, just apply for a change of status from spouse to LTR once you actually have the job.

Information about visas is irrelevant to you; you don't want a visa, you want a change of status.

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/17 11:54
The link given is for entry into Japan - quite irrelevant.
I suspect that you do not have custody of the child - that makes things harder. They will not be your dependent.
The following link might be more relevant
http://www.moj.go.jp/nyuukokukanri/kouhou/nyukan_nyukan50.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/17 13:19
Ok all thanks all for the help

Ifm going to consult with an immigration lawyer for a clearer answer. Hopefully it works out in the end if not, Ifll be ok somehow

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/17 14:11
By the way, what have your been working in? If it's English teaching, you can get a "work visa" ("International Service" (sub-) status) even without a degree if you have three years' experience. (People often say you need a degree, but that's a misconception due to the fact employers rarely hire people without degrees; if someone is willing to hire you, you are fine.)

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/17 21:13
This is great too except I have less than 3 years experience. I got the job because Ifm a native English speaker and visa holder without job restrictions, and my networking introduced me to the company. I worked in a completely different field prior during the majority of my time here.

Re: Parent of Japanese national visa? 2019/12/17 21:23
if i am not mistaken after 3 years on a spouse visa you are eligible to apply for japanese citizenship
by stormystorm (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread