Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4 Days: Is Kumamoto/Mt Aso worth it? 2020/1/10 16:44
Hi guys,

I've already planned 1 day each in Fukoaka and Nagasaki but since I'll be getting the 3 days Northern Kyushu JR Pass, I was wondering if it's worth visiting below:

1) Kumamoto: Wanted to visit the castle but it's closed and will only reopen a section AFTER I leave (I'm visiting mid Apr). There's Suizenji but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

2) Mt Aso: Again, the mountain is closed and I'm traveling solo without a car so it's quite a distance to go there for a hike.

Alternatively, I was thinking of visiting the Dolphin-watch @ Nagasaki or the Gunkanjima island tour (I heard they're reopening in March??) to make it 2 days each at Fukoaka and Nagasaki.

What do you think? Is it worth traveling to either Kumamoto/Mt Aso since the main attraction is closed? Any input is welcomed!

Thanks!!

by lyeee26 (guest)  

Re: 4 Days: Is Kumamoto/Mt Aso worth it? 2020/1/11 08:30
If it were me, Ifd do two days (one night) in Nagasaki, skip Aso (only because of the closures), and do your 4th day somewhere else in Northern Kyushu so you arenft wasting a lot of time travelling.
There are plenty of good choices for your 4th day, depending on your interests.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 4 Days: Is Kumamoto/Mt Aso worth it? 2020/1/11 09:52
If you are interested in Samurai, you may find some interesting Samurai districts in some Kyushu towns. Another thing you can do is bathing in a hot spring, here in Japan-guide website they suggeste many in that area.
by MP5 rate this post as useful

Re: 4 Days: Is Kumamoto/Mt Aso worth it? 2020/1/12 06:39
I would do Yufuin or Beppu instead.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 Days: Is Kumamoto/Mt Aso worth it? 2020/1/12 17:13
You could add more time seeing the area. In Saga, the Yutoku Inari Shrine is one of the best in Japan.
https://youtu.be/2UU_1Aip_l4

You could also see the Arita Porcelain Park, which is quite an unusual place in Japan - in fact, it is like suddenly walking into Germany.
https://youtu.be/yFa4gXw-W04

Nagasaki also has other areas to see, like Unzen, Sesebo, the Bio-Park, and Huis Ten Bosch. Another option is to go up to Kitakyushu, and even venture into Shimonoseki - it too has some good places to see, and mostly ignored by the mobs of tourists.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 Days: Is Kumamoto/Mt Aso worth it? 2020/1/12 17:54
Did a trip to Kyushu in December - two nights each in Kagoshima, Nagasaki and Buppu. The Hashima (Gunkanshima) segment was one of the most interesting parts, even without landing on the island.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread