Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR 7 Day pass during golden week 2020/1/11 06:50
I'm going to Japan during golden week and need advice on the train pass - I was thinking about the 7 day JR pass but not sure if that's the best route?

4-26-2020: Land in HND and head to Tokyo to spend 2 nights there
4-28-2020: Tokyo to Hakone and staying one night at a Ryokan
4-29-2020: Hakone to Kyoto and staying 4 nights (planning to do osaka and nara during this 4 day visit)
5-3-2020: Kyoto back to Tokyo for 3nights
5-6-2020: Tokyo to HND

Whats the recommendation for that route and should I get a local bus pass for Tokyo since ill be there during golden week? Gonna be hectic but we don't mind it (going for honeymoon)
by pd_ (guest)  

Re: JR 7 Day pass during golden week 2020/1/11 11:41
A 7-day pass might save you a little bit as it depends if you use JR to get to Hakone or Odakyu Railways. Personally for the hassle of the pass (and restrictions) I wouldn't bother.
As to GW being "hectic", not really.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR 7 Day pass during golden week 2020/1/11 11:51
Yeah I was planning to get to Hakone via JR. What restrictions should I be aware of?? Still up in the air if I am going to do the 7day pass or buy each separately and reserve seats online since I heard you can start doing that in the spring of this year.

Plus - thinking about getting a suica card to get around Tokyo. That should cover all my transportation needs. I'd like to forward luggage from Tokyo straight to my Kyoto hotel but not sure if golden week affects that?Anyone have any experience with luggage forwarding during golden week?
by pd_ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR 7 Day pass during golden week 2020/1/11 12:56
Hi!

I've not used luggage forwarding during GW for about a decade (because I can no longer visit during GW) but I've used it previously during GW and never had a problem. Everything got to where I expected it exactly when I expected it.

The big restriction with the National Rail Pass is you can't take Nozomi shinkansen only Hikari and Kodama. There are 2 Hikari an hour but 5 Nozomi. Nozomi are faster than Hikari and Kodama as well.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: JR 7 Day pass during golden week 2020/1/11 23:58
Awesome thanks!

I'm going to go with separate tickets and use hyperdia to price everything out. Should I go ahead and book the tickets now and reserve seats a month out of the trip or just wait a month out and do everything at once? Not sure if they sell out since it's golden week and more people will be traveling.
by pd_ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR 7 Day pass during golden week 2020/1/12 07:29
A pass might just pay off if lucky. I am doubtful.

I would just get online your Odawara to Kyoto and kyoto to Tokyo tickets in advance. You get seats then.

And at worse it'll cost you 1000-2000 yen more than a pass for you total trip. But in my view worth it for a seat in a busy period.

The JR passes dont cover the better subways and private railways within Kyoto. So saving some jr costs allows usage of these better services.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread