Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto- Koyasan - Nachi falls - Osaka 2020/1/14 07:13

Hi there

Travel is late March.

We are thinking of travelling to Koyasan for 2 nights from Kyoto then onwards to Nachi falls for 2 nights.

Do you suggest staying in Nachikatsura for the 2 nights? Is Nachi falls easy to get to from here? Is there much walking or things to see around Nachikatsura ?

How do we best travel from Koyasan to Nachikatsura ?

Then travel from Nachikatsura to Osaka. It looks like we can take the train via the coast for approx 7 hours. Is there any spots worth stopping off at on the way to Oasaka?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
by Braidie  

Re: Kyoto- Koyasan - Nachi falls - Osaka 2020/1/14 16:29
Ok. When I have gone to KiiKatsurra Station to go to Nachi Falls, I stay at the Urashima hot springs hotel in Katsurra. The bus station is to the left of the train station, where you can get a round trip ticket to Nachi Taisha. To get to the hotel, you go through town to the docks, and board a turtle shaped ferry to the hotel. The dinner is buffet style, where there is usually a sushi carving demonstration (ask when at the front desk).

The train ride from Shin-Osaka station is on a wide view limited express train, which means that the seats in the first class front of the train can see out the front of the train. Get seat 1-D, for the least obstructed view out the front. The train follows the coast line, and goes through many tunnels.

If you want to go inland, and into the Kumano region, you would go to Shingu Station, and catch a bus to one of the inland Onsens.

I also like Shirahama, which is a hot springs beach resort town. I have stayed there twice, in different resorts.

There is also Tanabe, and there are some busses that go inland from there to Onsens. There is a bus route from Tanabe to Koyasan, but it shuts down in the winter. I have wanted to go to Ryujin Onsens near Tanabe, because it has Sodium Bicarbonate spring water.

For more information, check out the Tanabe Tourism website, and look into the Ise-Kumano-Wakayama 5 day train and bus pass.

Good Luck.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto- Koyasan - Nachi falls - Osaka 2020/1/14 16:42
Oh yeah... Nachi Taisha is built into the hillside, and has lots of steps. The Kumano Koto hiking trails are one of the main attractions in the area. I think the hotel Urashima has six or seven hot springs in the hotel complex, but I usually go to the lower sea cave one. Shirahama has lots of attractions, and I would suggest looking at the Japan Guide page for more details. If you donft want the train & bus pass, JR has a 5 day Kansai wide area pass that also works.

Once again, good luck in planning your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto- Koyasan - Nachi falls - Osaka 2020/1/14 18:10
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4951.html?aFROM=4900_4950
"By local buses through the mountains via Ryujin Onsen (no service in winter)
From April through November, there are one or two bus connections per day from Koyasan to Gomadanzan, from where it is possible to continue to Kii-Tanabe Station or Hongu Taisha. The entire one way trip between Koyasan and Kii-Tanabe Station takes around 3.5 hours and costs 4520 yen. Between Koyasan and Hongu Taisha it takes around four hours and costs 5000 yen. For online reservations, click here. During winter, there is no bus service between Koyasan and Ryujin Onsen."
Not possible during March. You'll have to go via the coast, which is lovely anyway.

http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread