Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokuriku Arch Pass - Start from the middle 2020/1/27 07:09
Hi all,

I am planning to buy a Hokuriku Arch Pass but only plan to start using it when I leave Takayama. Does anyone know

1. Whether I can use the pass starting from the points in the middle rather than from Tokyo or Osaka? I believe I can but do not want to assume.

2. Whether it covers the JR train travel from Takayama to Kanazawa as I do not see Takayama in the route?

Appreciate any advice on the above.

Cheers
Doremon
by Wlgdoremon  

Re: Hokuriku Arch Pass - Start from the middle 2020/1/27 12:05
You can start using the pass at any point that the pass covers the route. The real question is if it pays off for you. You don't give your whole plan, but it looks doubtful.

The pass does not cover Takayama at all. You'd need to pay for the ticket between Takayama and Inotani.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch Pass - Start from the middle 2020/1/27 14:18
Thanks for the response. I am going to bring Japan for 18 days. I did a calculation of the fares on HYPERDIA and think that in theory I would need a 21 day JR pass. However based on my travel plan, I have just exceeded by 1 day if using the 14 day pass. So I was hoping you I save some money by looking at buying two different types of passes.

Anyway, my itinerary is as follows:
Day 1: arrive at Tokyo and take Shinkansen to Kyoto
Day 2: Kyoto
Day 3: side trip to Himeji and Osaka
Day 4: USJ
Day 5: Kyoto with side trip to Osaka again
Day 6: Kyoto
Day 7: To Takayama
Day 8: Takayama
Day 9: Day trip to Shinhotaka
Day 10: To Kanazawa
Day 11: Kanazawa
Day 12: To Nagano to Matsumoto
Day 13: To Shin Omachi
Day 14: Kurobe Alpine Route
Day 15: Toyama to Tokyo (stay Asakusa)
Day 16: Tokyo (stay Shibuya)
Day 17: Tokyo (stay Ueno for rest of days)
Day 18: Day trip to Ashikaga Flower Park
Day 19: Leave Tokyo

So, I was thinking whether it makes sense for me to use the JR pass from Day 1 to Day 7 and a Hokuriku Arch pass from Day 10 for next 10 days. Obviously that means paying for the rest of the travel such as to Ashikaga separately.

Or would I be better off just getting the 21 days JR pass?

Regards
Doremon
by Wlgdoremon rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch Pass - Start from the middle 2020/1/27 17:23
Is that itinerary set in concrete? Reason I ask is that in some sections it goes round in circles. Even covering some section twice.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokuriku Arch Pass - Start from the middle 2020/1/28 01:03
Yes, it is set in concrete apart from side trips which I might chop and change.
by Wlgdoremon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread