Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/2/2 21:42
Hello!

So, I'm in a pickle.
I am a mexican person in a tourist visa living in Japan. Last year, I came to Japan, found a job, applied for CoE, went back to Mexico for holidays and now I am back.
The CoE arrives as soon as I came back.
I had been told that all I had to do was to apply for the visa change (this told by an immigration officer), which I tried to do, ans I was told that no...
that I should go back to Mexico. Which I found stupid if I already have the CoE and I live in Japan; then they told me that in Korea could be done, as long as it was outside of Japan.

I told my boss this. They called immigration, explained the situation and OH SURPRISE!!
They said it can be done in Japan, but it depends on the officer's mood.....

I tried again.
No.
And now they even told me that Korea is not an option either.
The guy even yelled at me.

So... my question is :
Can I go to Korea and get my visa stamped there in the Japanese consulate??

I reviewed the immigration's webpage and it says: get your visa processed in the nearest Japanese embassy of where you live-- technically, I live in Japan and the nearest is Korea.

Thank you.
by arii (guest)  

Re: Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/2/3 09:05
Have you received the CoE WHILE you were in Japan? And you are in Japan now?

If yes, then you should proceed to Immigration bureau office now and apply for a gchange of resident statush from temporary visitor to whatever work resident status that you are eligible for.

If you say gvisa,h visa is for ENTRY into Japan, so they will tell you to leave Japan once and get the visa outside Japan.

Please say gchange of resident statush at the immigration bureau. This should clarify things.

(And by the way you are not supposed to work while on temporary visitor status, so please donft say you have a boss now, OK?)
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/2/3 09:07
I know theyfve tightened the rules for changing from gtemporary visitorh to gworkh resident status while staying in Japan, but they seem to accept such applications if for some reason you receive the CoE while you are in Japan. (This is something Ifve heard from an immigration lawyer.)

But please be sure to say you want a gchange of resident status.h

Re: Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/2/3 20:41
Can I go to Korea and get my visa stamped there in the Japanese consulate??
https://www.kr.emb-japan.go.jp/people/ryouzibu/visa_application.html
No.. Why..
Because you are not a resident in Korea. So the Japan embassy won't process your application unless there is a special circumstances (which you don't).

Which I found stupid if I already have the CoE and I live in Japan;
You/Your boss are the one who go about it the wrong way. Standard procedure is company apply for COE in Japan, you apply visa at embassy with COE. Then you enter Japan with visa an d COE.

The government/immigration is getting strict on change of status, especially those on student/temporary visitor. Unless you are working for 'big reputable company' or good immigration lawyer, chances of being denied is high.
Unless you have special circumstances/reason , COE-Visa is the way to go.
How are you 'living' in Japan with temporary visitor ?

As previous poster mentioned, avoid using the word 'visa' when dealing with immigration if you want to apply for change of status.

Change of Status application procedure, Japanese site has more details.
http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-2.html (Japanese)
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html (English)
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/4/11 16:58
Hello Arii,

Did you finally do that change of status of residence?
by Enolah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/4/11 17:42
Hello everyone ,

I e m almost in the same situation than Arii.

Here is my situation , I am in Japan in tourist status since December and few weeks ago the company who wants to hire me received my COE.

But due do the spread of coronavirus itfs impossible for me to go back in France to get the stamps in my passport... (people from Europe are not allowed to land in Japan...)

I went to immigration and the officer told me that they can not put the stamp in my passport and that I have to apply for a change of status of residence.

I told him that I though it was impossible from tourist to work status...

But immigration told me to to that so the company who sponsor my visa and I filled the form , wrote a letter explaining the reason why I want to to the change of status here and I went at immigration on 23th March to apply with my COE.

The said that itfs going to go fast because I already have the certificate of eligibility.

Ifm worrying that the reason if my post.

Would like to know if some of you are or have been in my situation( while coronavirus circumstances).

Sorry for my English...

Have a nice day

Re: Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/4/11 18:10
Enolah,

As far as I know, if you are in Japan already and receive the CoE while you are in Japan on another status, immigration accepts your application for gchange of resident statush (from temporary visitor status to an employer-sponsored work status, for example) if you have special reasons why you cannot leave Japan and come in with a visa.

(Since gvisah is for ENTERING Japan, and you are already in Japan, immigration cannot give you the gvisah stamp in your passport.)

Yes, so now with your employer providing a letter why you cannot leave Japan once and get a visa from your CoE in France, and enter Japan with the visa, the change of your resident status should be processed fine. You should not be worried. Best wishes.

Re: Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/4/11 18:55
Thanks for your reply !

I really hope that it will goes well .still working tho...

I am wondering if it went well for the girl who create that post...

Re: Visa Stamp in Korea with CoE? 2020/7/15 16:22
Hi Arii and Enolah,

Were you able to process your change of status processed from temporary visitor to resident status? I'm also stuck in Japan currently and expect to get a COE issued in the next weeks. With the corona border restrictions if I leave Japan I will not be able to come back.
by pkrama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread