Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

raw chicken in a yakitori place? 2005/6/10 05:33
I was in Kyoto 10 days ago and went to a yakitori place. On the menu (english translation) there is an entry of "raw chicken." Do people actually eat the chciken meat raw? I didn't order it.
by e.t  

... 2005/6/10 09:58
I haven't seen completely raw chicken meat being served (I don't know if it is served somewhere), but I have eaten yeakitori with chicken meat (breast filet, I believe) only slighly grilled on the surface and almost completely raw inside. Needless to say, the chicken meat must be of highest quality and freshness.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Raw chicken 2005/6/10 10:21
ET,

Yes, chicken is sometimes served raw as sashimi, although it is not that common. I have only had it once and found it rather slimy and tasteless. The thought of salmonella poisoning didn't help much either.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

me too! 2005/6/10 13:53
I also went to a yakitori restaurant in Kyoto recently and I can tell you that absolutely NO part of the chicken was wasted!!! I think I was VERY brave, but there just some things I could not eat like raw chicken liver. And Dave, I didn't even THINK of salmonella at the time......
by Lynda rate this post as useful

Hmmm... 2005/6/10 15:20
Just like Uji my friend and I had ended up with some chicken skewers which were raw on the inside during our visit to Hiroshima. A couple of days later my friend got really sick and was diagnosed as having chicken bacterial infection. Can't be sure it was from those skewers but next time I will be more careful.
by Zippocage rate this post as useful

wow 2005/6/10 15:43
I'm surprised! I hadn't heard about raw chicken. But I did hear about raw prawns and I thought that was pretty unusual already!

by oceanhill rate this post as useful

I have 2005/6/10 16:25
I went to a restaurant, and ordered a chicken salad. I got lettuce, with raw chicken on top. I ate it, but it defenately wouldn't be my first choice of how to eat chicken...
by JimNasium rate this post as useful

Yes raw niwatori 2005/6/11 11:11
I live with my wifes Japanese family and raw chicken is on the menu on a weekly basis. My Father in law loves it. I eat it but I often have an unfomfortable expierence in the "Smallest room in the house" in the days that follow. But it is delicious and I will continue to eat it.
by REDRUM36 rate this post as useful

tori-sashi 2005/6/11 19:32
Tori-sashi is a raw chicken treat that's supposed to show how fresh the meat is.

The first time I tried it was at a very nice restaurant father took me to, famous for its valuable "Nagoya-kochin chicken."

However, not all restaurants seem to be reliable. My brother-in-law found a great little yakitori bar on his way home from his office, but the liver-sashi he tried caused him a nightmare afterwards. He intends to go again though, for its fabulous collection of 70s rock records :)
by Uco rate this post as useful

about raw chicken 2005/6/16 00:59
I am a Japanese.
There are many those whom it dislikes and cannot eat about raw chicken even in Japan.
I like it.
Probably, there are few worries about food poisoning,
since the chicken eaten in the flesh is special.

If a store takes out food poisoning with Japan, it will be punished for it,
and it is that the business of it are interrupted in it.

In Japan, although there is many raw food,
uncooked meat is not necessarily eaten daily.

However, about fresh fish and shellfishes,
it eats in the flesh in many cases.

I am poor at English.
This text was written using English translation software.

can you understand my words?
by rica rate this post as useful

Understand, Rica 2005/6/16 01:05
Your meaning is clear, Rica. The explanation is interesting.
by watagei rate this post as useful

Raw eggs 2006/7/10 00:55
Are all the eggs sold in Japan salmonella free? I've been served raw eggs for breakfast, with sukiyaki, natto and even with yakitori. I like it, but in the US, it's not a good idea to eat raw eggs. Why are cooked eggs served for breakfast always well done?
by Not sick yet rate this post as useful

Raw eggs 2006/7/10 02:17
I actually saw something on tv about eggs. apparently in many countries, eggs are not usually stored in the fridge. I have googled it and its interesting how north american sources will recommend refridgeration, but some sites say it is not required.
by Kait rate this post as useful

tasty 2006/8/5 10:22
I have had tori sashimi before, and enjoyed it. I agree the meat didn't have much flavour, but when dipped into, say, ponzu sauce - it was delicious! I have even prepared it myself at home. I don't give a second thought to the salmonella/food poisoning issue. If you buy good quality food (no matter which country you are in) you will be much less at risk. I am meaning by good quality that the meat is fresh, and that the animal was raised and killed in an environment that was stress free (it really does have an impact on the taste)
Of course, you should take precautions, like preparing food on a clean surface and keeping things refrigerated. But I have been to many yakitori restaurants where the skewered chicken is just sitting in trays next to the grill waiting to be cooked. Even on hot, slow business days. I haven't gotten sick yet. I also have a theory that by having such a sterile environment now (food handling laws etc) that perhaps we just don't have the antibodies that we need to kill off some bugs. What do you think.
by Lucas rate this post as useful

Re: raw prawns 2006/8/5 16:44
Once I was served a life shrimp when I was invited to this really classy restaurant by the director of a games company. The shrimp was doused in alcohol to prevent it from scurying from the plate, I guess. The other people ripped the head of and sucked on the juices and ate it after peeling and I followed suit. It was not particularly good, but it was the weirdest thing I have eaten in Japan in so many trips there ;-)
by Kappa rate this post as useful

raw chicken 2006/8/5 20:36
Eating raw chicken, especially in summer, is a big risk. A recent study in NZ found that around 70% of people who got campylobacter or salmonella food poisoning had eaten chicken. Both my parents have had campylobacter at different times after eating chicken- livers in my mother's case- she was very ill.

To the poster who thinks we have developed mow resistance fron eating food prepared in a sterile environment, you obviously haven't worked in a restaurant kitchen. I've worked in several and believe me, plenty of microbes there to build up our resistance!
by Sira rate this post as useful

oops 2006/8/5 20:38
Sorry, that should be "developed some resistance from eating food..." I shouldn't type and watch TV at the same time!
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2006/8/5 23:33
Well beef has some bacterias, especially E.Coli and Salmonella. And you're also exposed to Tapeworms possibilities not to mention BSE.

But what do we all do? We always eat it Rare or Medium Rare, some even like it Blue. Steak tartare is completely raw too.

I have eaten raw horse sashimi and raw whale wheat as well. So... I guess I should not fear raw chicken :O
by rouge rate this post as useful

Well.. 2006/8/6 03:55
I know my comment is probably influenced by the alarmist US media...but I'd watch out for avian flu as well. I know it's extremely unlikely but with cases reported in Japan and the area it's probably not really worth it unless you REALLY like tori sashimi. All I know is that I've been told by our study abroad program to not even go near uncooked poultry in japan and surrounding countries.
by Pat rate this post as useful

tori sashi 2006/8/6 09:10
i tasted this treat while in japan and i didnt mind it. to me, it sort of resembled just eating a chicken breast from the grocery store...but i didnt mind. i, however, would choose basashi over tori sashi any day.
by marissa rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

reply to this thread