Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/2/26 06:19
I am filipina and divorced for almost a year with my japanese husband and currently holding a 1 year long term resident visa, now im planning to remarry again with my fiancé which is in the philippine right now, Is it possible to bring him here with tourist visa and then get married at city hall where i am living now and apply for change status for him to live here with me?
hope someone will help me here, thank you in advance.
by mei31 (guest)  

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/2/26 13:54
What kind of visa are you living in Japan on?

Are you on a spouse of Japanese national visa and still using it even though divorced?
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/2/26 14:07
Shelly,
The OP says glong-term residenth resident status, the type one might be eligible to apply for a change from spouse of Japanese national, after a divorce from a Japanese national but have a basis in Japan for continuing to live in Japan.

Mei31,
With Philippine nationals things gmayh be a little bit complicated – was your first marriage registered with the Philippines, and if so, was it annulled? Also is your fiancé a Philippine citizen, and if yes, he will need to apply for a temporary visitor visa to enter Japan even for a short time. If he does come on a temporary visitor status, you need to complete the marriage and the application with the immigration authorities within the short time allowed.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/2/26 14:45
Were you also married for according the Philippine law?
Did you divorce in the Philippine also? I do understand this would be difficult and even remarriage you need to proof you are divorced.

You have a long term resident visa which allows you to marry in Japan.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/2/26 18:53
generally speaking, the marriage should be valid in both countries, Japan and Philippine.
when you divorced, you had to divorce in both countries. Did you do it ?
if not, for example, you divorced in Japan, but you did not divorce in Philippine. your first marriage is still valid in Philippine. when you get married in Japan with another persons, you may have legal inconsistency between Japan and Philippine. when you get a baby, what will happen ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/2/27 08:31
I am Australian, I was traveling in Japan and decided to work so my boyfriend and I got married at city hall but we both had to leave the country afterwards to enter Japan on the correct visa. I'm not sure if it will be the same for you're partner? It might be possible to get married before he arrives as it is just paperwork I don't think he needs to attend city hall. That way he may enter Japan with the correct visa and won't have to leave and come back. Just in relation to the other comments, you do not need to get divorced in both countries, just as you don't marry in both countries, so you're Japanese divorce is valid.
by Stacey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/2/27 13:16
As posted by ....... (guest) and justmyday, you'll need to sort out the Philippine side first on how to get (divorce) married in Philippine due to Philippine laws on divorce.

Once you are married, then you may apply for temporary visa (TV) for your husband to visit Japan.
However, due to recent tightening/restriction on change of status, TV to Dependent are likely to be rejected.

Best check with your local immigration office in Japan, or consult immigration lawyer.
Or just go with normal COE - Visa route.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/3/1 14:48
thanks everyone for answering my concern. I already asked for the lawyerfs help and she gives me 2 option:
1. My fiancé will apply for a tourist visa here and then they will process my marriage at city hall up to his visa processing without getting my philippine divorced ( I got married here in japan but I passed my marriage certificate in phil embassy so my marriage is also registered in my country) for 550000\

2. They will process my divorced in philippine and let me do the marriage and visa processing here for 700000\

I chose the option number 2, because option 1 is very complicated things, Ifm not sure if the immigration will grant my fiancé long term visa if I didnft get divorced in my country first, and according to what I have read, itfs important to get my divorced in philippine first before engaging in marriage here in japan.

What do u think guys? Am I doing the right decision? I will meet the lawyer on tuesday and talk about it. please let me know which option is better. Thank you.
by mei31 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/3/1 16:09
I am not a lawyer, but 2 sounds like the better option, even though it might take some time until your marriage is annulled in the Philippines. It sounds better to me if you can complete the divorce process also in the Philippines first.

If you do 1., there is a possibility that while you try to get married in Japan, the city hall gmighth ask you to complete the Philippine divorce first, which might delay your completing your marriage process and your fiancé receiving the gspouse of long-term residenth status, and he might have to return to the Philippines in the meantime.

If you are talking to a lawyer, I would probably ask for the estimated time needed for the two options, according to her experience. Best wishes.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/3/2 16:41
I am not from the Philippines but a friend of mine is.
She wanted to divorce but the Philippine law is not easy on it.

Since 2018 there is a new "Divorce Act of 2018," which you need to proof the following before you can divorce.

The occurrence of physical abuse
The exhibition of ggrossly abusive conduct"
Psychological incapacity
Marital rape
Irreconcilable differences despite efforts to reconcile
Separation for at least five years

Another way is under Philippine law, couples can petition a court for legal separation, but only under specific circumstances.

I do not know if option 1 or 2 are good or this lawyer tries to get money knowing it may fail.
You could ask a second opinion.

Anyway it could take years for a Philippine to permit absolute divorce by law, till that time you cannot marry because you need to proof you are divorced.

I hope you can divorce as soon as possible. I wish you good luck.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/3/2 18:58
Anyway it could take years for a Philippine to permit absolute divorce by law, till that time you cannot marry because you need to proof you are divorced

That makes sense but it's not true. If a Filipino marries & divorces overseas, then they can remarry even if their divorce is not finalized in the Philippines.

My wife is Filipino and we got married in the Philippines before her divorce was recognized. The only problem is that she is not allowed to change her name in her passport until the divorce is final.
by Tre (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/3/3 06:57
thanks everyone, my lawyer said it may be less or more than a year.
@justmyday- thank you for sharing but I think your friend is married to a filipino man and they got married in the philippines thatfs why they have to wait and do a lot of process, but my case is I married a japanese and got married overseas so maybe my case is different to your friend.
@tre- may i know how long did you wait before you got married again? and do u have the contact number of the lawyer who help your wife to do the divorce processing in the philippine? thank you and hope you can help me.
by mei31 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/3/3 08:50
@Tre. Apologies but feel free to correct me if I am wrong but your marriage is null and void and that's why your wife can't change her name in PH passport because she is not yet your wife legally in PH.
by Blu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/3/3 12:51
@Blu
I don't blame you for thinking that. If I didn't go through it myself I would think the same. It's actually quite common for Filipinos overseas to remarry even if their divorce isn't final in the Philippines. It's an expensive process and many can't afford to finalize the divorce.

@mei31
She was divorced in Japan for over 2 years when we got married.
I cannot recommend our lawyer. He made some simple mistakes that extended our process for a few months. I wouldn't use him again.
by Tre (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/11/11 22:42
I am married in philippines to a japanese man an now leave here in japan about 15 yrs but now we divorced. We already now divorced but not yet annulled,can i habe a chance to remarry a filipino guy here in japan?
by Mika (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorced in japan and planning to remarry 2020/11/12 14:54
if you don't mind the inconsistency of legal records in Japan and your country, you may be able to do.
but, you have to consider carefully that you are non-Japanese and that your legal situation is in your country. Japan and Japanese laws will not help you, if you (and your relatives, and your next generations ) get troubles in future by this inconsistency, because you make troubles by yourself.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread