Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translating my birth certificate 2020/2/26 17:42
My birth certificate is all in English and I think when I visit the embassy and then get married later at city hall, I will need a translated copy of my birth certificate.
I do not know how to translate it. I know there is people you can hire, but what is the process? I want my girlfriend to translate it to Japanese so I don't have to pay for a translator, but I don't even know how to do that. Do I need a print out an empty template of a birth certificate for her to fill out by copying mine but in Japanese? If so, where do I find it?
I'm rather lost on this part. What is the process so that I may have a translated copy of my birth certificate ideally done by my girlfriend? Thank you.
by Goosie  

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/2/26 17:57
I don't think that English documents have to be translated for immigration purposes. Only languages other than English.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/2/26 18:40
I think you need to provide the translated document to get married at city office. it can be done by anyone, like your future spouse.
https://uklife168.com/31.html
https://uklife168.com/19.html
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/2/26 18:56
The situation is a bit different, but I had to translate a UK marriage certificate (English language) into Japanese when I took it to the city hall in Japan to report our UK marriage after-the-fact (eventually to get a spouse resident status for my non-Japanese spouse), though I admit it was some years ago.

When I did that, I used Microsoft Word, used the “table” function to make boxes that looked somewhat like the layout of the marriage certificate, and typed the Japanese into it. They said that the translator’s name must be written on it too, so I typed it outside the boxes I made. (The translator doesn’t have to be any accredited translator; they just needed the name.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/2/26 19:08
My Japanese husband also translated my birth certificate into Japanese for us.

Just made a word doc and typed it out in Japanese, no special layout.

Put his name at the end and his personal seal.

It always best to check the requirements at the city hall where you intend to marry to make sure you have all the documents the need to hand, some require different things to others
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/2/26 20:12
Have you checked with your city hall whether the birth certificate is even necessary at all? When I got married it was not necessary. It seems it depends a lot on each city hall, so it would be good to check with yours before necessarily worrying about it. At the same time, you could also check what kind of translation is necessary if they do require it.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/2/27 01:57
Thank you all for your reponses. It seems easier than I thought then!
My girlfriend will contact the local city hall soon and I will find out then what I need exactly. If we need my birth certificate to be translated, then we can make it together on a word document :)
Thank you again.
by Goosie rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/2/27 08:03
The ones I have assisted with:
- You need a full birth certificate - not a short form issued by some countries.
- English and any other language to be translated into Japanese (kana/phonetic is fine).
- Translation can be done by anyone. A service I have used before was 6,000 yen per page so doing it yourself can save a lot.
- Check the requirements of our local city hall - not all are as up-to-date with requirements or even procedures for visitors getting married. I've used Minato in the past as they were good to deal with.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/3/4 05:15
@JapanCustomTours
I see, thank you very much for your information. I will bring my full birth certificate and translate it too.

An update: My girlfriend contacted the municipal office yesterday and they told her that I would need my birth certificate, passport and also a 婚姻要件具備証明書 which translates to "Marriage requirement fulfillment certificate". 婚姻要件具備証明書 (Marriage requirement fulfillment certificate" I really do not understand.
The UK government website instructs me to take the following steps:
1. Contact the local municipal office and see what documents I need, done it.
2. Download an affirmation/affidavit form, done it.
3. Get the affirmation/affidavit completed at the British Embassy in Tokyo (I have an appointment and I will complete this document in April).

That's it. So I don't know what this 婚姻要件具備証明書 document actually is. Is it my completed affirmation form? I'm really confused for the matter.

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/3/4 08:11
That should be: affidavit on competence to marry, meaning a paper certifying that you are single. Ask at the embassy.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/3/4 08:23
your girlfriend can google it with the words, 婚姻要件具備証明書 イギリス人.
http://www.visa-fukuoka-center.com/category33/entry47.html
https://greatbritain-japan-marriage.jimdofree.com/
https://ameblo.jp/kia0ranz/entry-12375696506.html
it is so easy to find out.

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/3/4 17:23
@...
I think that is what Americans require. But we British have a similar sounding document called Affidavit or Affirmation of Marital status.

@ken
Thank you for checking for me. It seems people aren't using the Certificate of no Impendiment anymore. It seems the Affidavit / Affirmation of Marital status, once checked by the Embassy in Japan is enough.

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/3/4 17:51
UK embassy discontinued to issue that document.
but, when you can bring that from UK, it is still valid and you don't need to UK embassy.

Re: Translating my birth certificate 2020/3/4 18:32
@ken
Yea, I remember I read on the UK Gov website that they don't give that document anymore at the UK Embassy in Tokyo.
If I don't bring the certificate of no impendiment, then I think the affirmation completed at the UK Embassy in Japan is the same except it would be done in Japan. So I think I should be okay :)

reply to this thread