Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The local city hall confused me 2020/3/3 20:56
My girlfriend contacted her local city hall recently and asked them what documents we need for marriage. I'm a British citizen.
The documents they said I need to bring is my birth certificate, my passport and a ¥ˆ÷—vŒ‹ï”õØ–¾‘.
I translated it on Google and it says "Certificate of Marriage Requirements". For me, I find it very broad and unhelpful. I'm not sure what document that is. I currently have a Affirmation of Marital Status, which states I'm single and free to marry. I will have this signed at the British embassy in Tokyo and hand it in with my passport and birth certificate at the city hall.
But I am now unsure if that is needed. Is ¥ˆ÷—vŒ‹ï”õØ–¾‘ (Certificate of Marriage Requirements) a Certificate of no Inpediment? Because the British Embassy in Tokyo no longer issues them, so that would make things very inconvenient for me and my wife-to-be. I don't really understand the difference between a CNI and Affirmation anyway, at their core they seem to serve exactly the same purpose.
I wish things were more clearer, maybe you can help me. Thank you.
by Goosie  

Re: The local city hall confused me 2020/3/4 11:02
Hi Goosie

I am a U.K. Citizen who got married in Japan recently so hopefully qualified to answer this.

¥ˆ÷—vŒ‹ï”õØ–¾‘ is a certificate of legal capacity to marry. For UK citizens this would be the affirmation/affidavit that you would get stamped at the British embassy in Tokyo. The certificate of no impediment you mentioned was replaced by the affirmation/affidavit, making it easier for U.K. Citizens to marry in Japan

The city hall always confuses people and often the people who reply to emails give broad answers and don't really look into your case for you. When you go there the person registering for you tends to be qualified to know what you need.

When I got married, all I took to the city hall was my passport, (if you are resident then take residence card too), original full birth certificate and a translation into Japanese which my husband did, and the Œ‹¥“Í‚¯ kekkon todoke, along with the completed affirmation stamped by the embassy.

Of course, your local city hall could need other things but hopefully not as you checked with them.

Good luck!

Oh by the way they take your original birth certificate and don't always give it back even if you ask, so you may want to prepare a back up from the general register in the UK, you do it online. If you want to always have a certificate on you that is!
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The local city hall confused me 2020/3/4 13:19
Presumably you will also have to fill out the application form - there will most likely be a space for a witness signature.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: The local city hall confused me 2020/3/4 17:02
@Shelly,
Thank you so much. I was looking for a long time to find out if the CNI was replaced but I couldn't find any answers. I had a feeling it would be, because they stopped giving them out at the Embassy in Tokyo.
I think I will be okay then. I have my passport, birth certificate and I suppose my - what they are calling - "copy of marriage requirements certificate" which would be my affirmation lol.
Thanks a lot for the tip on the birth certificate, I didn't know that there would be a chance they wouldn't return it. I think in that case I'll order a copy too just to be safe.
Thank you for your information Shelly, it was really helpful :) I have one more question if it isn't too much trouble, which area did you grt married in? I will get married in Muko-Shi which is in Kyoto.

@JapanCustomTours
Oh yes :D Her grandmother or mother will sign it :) Thank you for reminding me
by Goosie rate this post as useful

Re: The local city hall confused me 2020/3/4 17:23
the answer is already in your previous post.
please do not make duplicated posts.
the information to get married in Japan is provided mostly in Japanese. I think the finding is not your job, but your partner's job.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The local city hall confused me 2020/3/4 18:00
no problem at all Goosie, glad i could help

i remember how nervous i was wanting to make sure i had all the right documents and that i was doing everything fully and legally. if you need anything, just ask.

i registered mine at the ward office in Hamamatsu
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: The local city hall confused me 2020/3/4 18:30
@Shelly
Thank you again. Hamamatsu, okay :D
I'll just bring my affirmation then and the other documents they asked for. Hopefully it will be sufficient.

Re: The local city hall confused me 2020/3/6 22:26
Just a little update if anybody ever finds themself in the same situation as me.
After speaking with the city office some more, my affirmation would be accepted as marriage confirmation, which is like a subsitute for a CNI I suppose. It would be accepted on the grounds that they do NOT give me my birth certificate back. That's no problem, as I'll order a couple more full birth certificates before I go to Japan to get married.
I don't know why they'll have to keep my birth certificate, they never said, but for my circumstances, it's of no problem.

reply to this thread