Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Informing Immigration after graduation 2020/3/7 18:04
I have read that I need to inform Immigration within 14 days of my graduation that I have graduated (March 3rd, so 17th being the last day). However, I was told that I am considered a Student until the of March.

It just confuses me because if I have to inform immigration of my change of status, then what do I change it to? Can I still keep it as student?

This is mostly a concern because I have a part-time job with a full-time offer that could possibly begin the visa application passed the 17th.

Thank you ahead of time for any answers.
by John (guest)  

Re: Informing Immigration after graduation 2020/3/8 08:56
John/Trevor or whatever ..

What is the expiry date for student status on your zairyu card?
Technically that is your valid status expiry date, HOWEVER as you mentioned you'll need to inform immigration about the changes related to your resident status within 14 days.

Immigration won't immediately cancel/revoke your resident status, you'll be given time to sort out your status after graduation. Maybe 1-2 months depends on immigration BUT you probably CANNOT continue your part time job or any work since you are no more an "active student".

Best consult with immigration officer when you inform them about the graduation/changes in your resident status.

https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/adm/inbound/en/life-visa-ch.html

https://resources.realestate.co.jp/living/how-i-switched-from-a-studen...
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Informing Immigration after graduation 2020/3/8 10:33
Does the school not inform Immigration themself on our behalf?
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Informing Immigration after graduation 2020/3/8 10:36
Sorry, forgot to add this. The expiration date is October 2020
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Informing Immigration after graduation 2020/3/9 10:39
Your student visa is valid until it expires and/or until you no longer fulfill its requirements.
Always inform the immigration even if you think school may do. You are responsible at the end.
Immigration will inform your options. But as mentioned you cannot work.

If you want to travel a bit before you leave, you can go to the local immigration office and switch to a short-term visa/visa waiver
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Informing Immigration after graduation 2020/3/9 11:46
Both parties – meaning you and the school – need to inform the immigration authorities when an important change in the circumstances supporting your resident status happens, such as finishing school (for gstudenth resident status), quitting work/changing employers (employer-sponsored work resident status), or getting divorced (spouse of Japanese national), etc. So you will need to do that.

Please do not confuse the meaning of the word gstatush – the requirement is to report the change in your status in the sense of circumstances (whether you are a student or not), but your gresident statush in terms of immigration rules is still gstudent.h

While the granted resident status is valid till October (as students often stay in the country after graduation to find employment, that might have been the reason why they gave you till October, or you might have applied for a longer period), when you graduate in March, after that you will not be attending any full-time school, so you will not be able to work. I guess the school told you guntil the end of Marchh because school year generally is considered gfrom April to Marchh in Japan.

When you report your graduation, the immigration might ask you what you plan to do after that – in which case, you can tell them the current part-time employer is willing to hire you full-time, and that they are to start/have started the application soon. My take is that if they can start the application before you report, that would be great, and if they start it before the end of March, that would look good.

You cannot start working full-time before you get your resident status changed (the processing completed) to one that allows full-time work. Actually your employer should have started applying for it a bit earlier alreadyc

by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread