Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/16 02:53
Greetings everyone, I have been an ALT employee for almost 8 years now. I have been renewing my visa as an instructor for 8 times already since our board of education gives me a year contract only. Thinking about my long term plans on living and residing here for good in Japan. Do I have a chance to apply for or to be a permanent resident?
by Abe0201  

Re: As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/16 08:31
10 years of residence in Japan, with work permit.
http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001241940.pdf
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/16 08:49
I think you also have to be on a three year residency status. So you have to have a residence card that covers a three year stay.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it says in the link the previous user posted that maximum period of status must be held
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/16 11:15
@Chris Current 3 or 5 year status is required for PR.
by apparition rate this post as useful

Re: As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/16 11:25
Current 3 or 5 year status is required for PR

Give me a break, 3 or 5 years? Yes, when you are married to a Japanese....
by T.K. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/16 11:37
TK you have misunderstood

As a working status holder, to get PR you have to have been living in Japan 10 years (except when you're exceptional and can get points to decrease it)and your current residence card must be for 3 or 5 years

If you are still getting one year residence cards then you can't apply
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/16 11:40
My bad. I stand corrected.
by T.K. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/17 01:32
Thank you for all your reactions and advice, I am already fully aware in regards of 3 or 5 year duration visa when applying I ppsted this question by trying to get other informations or options. However, is changing my job for me to be able to get a 3 yr visa an option? Because like what I said ALT position only gives me a year visa. Thank you again everyone.
by Abe0201 rate this post as useful

Re: As an ALT Teacher for 8 years 2020/3/17 11:48
The next time you apply for your renewal, write that you want to get PR and are therefore requesting a longer length visa in the spot where it asks. It's not necessarily that your job is giving you 1 year contracts; mine did too, and I still got a 3 year extension. It's possibly other factors, but it can be hard to say exactly what they are. Make sure you're paying your health insurance, pension, and residence taxes completely and on time, and save all that documentation. Make sure your taxes are being filed correctly as well. Then, there's not much you can do after all that. Most ALTs are always on 1 year contracts, so just changing your job might not help you anyway.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread