Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/20 21:58
I'm currently in Japan from a country on the Exemption of Visa program, which allows 90 days in Japan as a tourist. I'm currently around half-way through that.

Given the current situation with the COVID-19 outbreak, what is likely to occur if:
a) I'm unable to leave after 90 days due to lack of flight availability, or
b) I've contracted the virus prior to leaving the country?
by QuestionAsker (guest)  

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/21 21:14
Generally speaking you should ask immigration. Given current circumstances it's reasonable to expect that they will try to help you out if you really can't get on a flight back to your home country. Whether or not you have previously had coronavirus and recovered shouldn't make too much difference. But really the only people who can give you concrete answers are immigration (and also your home country's embassy if you have questions regarding re-entry).
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/21 23:47
I would obtain any information from your native country as to what is going to happen to you when you arrive. If I were you, I would start thinking about returning now, before it gets any worse. Organizations don't react well to people who don't heed warnings in due time. They may not look too kindly at someone who decided to try to leave just before their time was up and now has problems getting home.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/22 10:14
I agree with John B digs Japan.
your definitively wrong thinking is that you know your country may close the border very near future, but you don't make any reaction right now.
for example, US government already raise their travel warning to level 4. it means US citizens should return to USA as soon as possible, if they want to get helps from USA.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/22 11:23
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm of course already prepared to return home this coming week, but need to be prepared for if something sudden happens that prevents me from getting home (be it no flights, or I get sick).
I'm financially stable and comfortable enough to remain in Japan indefinitely, but don't know if it's possible.

I'll reach out to both the Embassy and Immigration.
by QuestionAsker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/23 10:42
Most countries allow their citizen to go back, it maybe necessary to be in quarantine but that is depending where you come from and your country.
You need to inform your embassy and including Japanese immigration if you cannot leave Japan on time.
Your embassy has to support you and immigration needs to be informed to prevent overstay.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/23 16:00
Apparently if you have difficulty obtaining return flight, you can apply for extension under temporary visitor provided you satisfy certain requirements.

Latest on immigration agency website regarding to visa/status due to covid19 issue.
http://www.moj.go.jp/EN/nyuukokukanri/kouhou/m_nyuukokukanri01_00003.h...
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/24 20:49
I'm in the same situation as the OP staying in Japan as Temporary visitor for 90 days valid until beginning of May. My onward flight in the end of April was already cancelled after Australia closed its borders. I'm not sure if I'm able to find a return ticket to my home country in Europe (where I have no home as I'm travelling for longer time). I think it's best to avoid travelling altogether this time as there is higher risk to contract the coronavirus while travelling and also spreading it while travelling and after arriving to the destination. I have means to stay in Japan and valid travel insurance to cover any possible illness. I would like to know if it's possible to extend the stay beyond the 90 days in the current situation. I found this information from the link above:

"In principle, the following measures will be taken for those who are considered to have difficulty in securing return flights and returning home in
their home countries due to the new coronavirus infection.
‡@ Persons residing in Japan as gTemporary Visitor"
=> Permit extension of period of stay for "Temporary Visitor (30 days)".

I'm having difficulties interpreting this: does it mean that extension is permitted only for a "Temporary Visitor" who has right to stay in Japan 30 days or does it mean that "Temporary Visitor (90 days)" can get an extension for 30 more days?

by katsumi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/24 22:32
I found the complete text:

In principle, the following measures will be taken for those who are considered to have difficulty in securing return flights and returning home in their home countries due to the new coronavirus infection.
1 Persons residing in Japan as gTemporary Visitor"
=> Permit extension of period of stay for "Temporary Visitor (30 days)".
2 Persons who are residing in Japan with the status of residence of gTechnical Intern Trainingh or gDesignated Activities (Foreign Construction Workers or Foreign Shipbuilding Workers)h and wish to work in the same field with the same host agency as before.
=> Permit a change of status of residence to "Designated Activities (30 days/work allowed)".
3 Persons residing with other status of residence (Including those who are described in (2) above and do not wish to work).
=> Permit a change of status of residence to "Temporary Visitor (30 days)".

"=>" is the measure to be taken, it means that for 'Persons residing in Japan as gTemporary Visitor"' they will 'Permit extension of period of stay for "Temporary Visitor (30 days)".'

Go to immigration and ask for an extension if that's the route you want to take. I think the text above makes it pretty clear, but going to immigration really is the only way to know for sure.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/24 23:01
why don't you go home RIGHT NOW ? when you don't make efforts to return to your country NOW, it is your laziness.
the situation will be getting worse everyday. I think you will have lesser chance to return to your country in May.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa exemptions extended if unable to leave? 2020/3/24 23:43
Thanks LIZ for pointing it out. I might have to do that. Ken, things are not that simple. If they were, I wouldn't be asking here about the possible extension.
by katsumi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread