Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Corona virus unemployment support 2020/4/8 02:49
Hello,
My contract was ended six months ago due to 5 years working rule. After that I applied for the unemployment benefits. I was benefiting from the unemployment support while also go to a school and doing a training. This March marked the end of my internship and the end of the training period including the getting the unemployment support.
I have been looking for a job since January but it was very hard.
For the last month only, I even took the first interview then the SPI test as well, but at the end the company told me it’s impossible to hire you at the moment due to corona virus effect on their business. The position was no longer available. More than 4 companies told me the same thing.
I am still trying to look for jobs but I am wondering, am I eligible to get any funds at least to pay my rent during the next two months until I find a job?
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Corona virus unemployment support 2020/4/8 11:28
As far as I understood Prime Minister’s statement yesterday, the relief package the government is trying to offer to households will be those whose head of household suffered a decline in income in February or later (when the infection spread became obvious) to a level where resident’s taxes would not be imposed on an annualized basis. So… if your unemployment has been continuing from some time before that, I am not sure this would apply to you. It will at earliest be paid out in May… If you need some emergency fund, it sounds like a case you might want to contact your country’s embassy in Japan…
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Corona virus unemployment support 2020/4/8 12:38
Embassies normally don't give money to their nationals. They might help them to return to their country in some instances, but you still need to pay for your flight.

As you have been unemployed for quite a long time I would assume you are on PR or spouse visa, or something that allows you to stay and work in anything you want. Maybe in the interim trying to search for a job in a supermarket or conbini might be a good idea. Not sure how much is available there now, because obviously all the employees at restaurants and bars are also looking for new ways of income.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Corona virus unemployment support 2020/4/8 13:16
To the OP,

Try talking to your local public administration such as your ward office. If there is a language barrier, I'm sure your prefecture can provide some kind of interpretation service. Perhaps they can guide you to someone who can answer your question.

In fact, I find that many organizations, both public and private, are quite helpful when it comes to the corona virus issue. Even if you can't get any financial/medical support, you still are likely to get some verbal encouragement. Try before you speculate.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Corona virus unemployment support 2020/4/8 21:40
you didn't lose your job because of virus spread, and you just lose a chance to find a job.
only the place where someone can guide you is ハローワーク. I think ward office is not the place.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Corona virus unemployment support 2020/4/9 02:12
Hello work would be a place to go for jobs, but this is a really tough time for jobs now. Even companies which are on good financial standings have a hiring freeze, and many businesses are closing their doors due to coronavirus as well.
Do you have any family or friends who could guarantee some loans etc.?

An advice for the future though, when you do have a job, you should create a credit card as well as a card loan account. You don't have to use them, but it is always good to have a line of credit available.
by sss (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Corona virus unemployment support 2020/4/9 16:14
Thank you for the answers.
At the moment, I still have some savings to eat and pay rent for something like 3 months. But, I am concerned if the crisis continues longer than that.
only the place where someone can guide you is ハローワーク
I appreciate the piece of the advice. I am going to visit Hallo-work to ask for details.
you should create a credit card as well as a card loan account.
Thank you for the advice, I have a credit card but I remember I asked them to deactivate the feature that allows me to withdraw money from it. I am going to contact my credit card company asking them about making this change.
I just pray this crisis does not last longer.
I am actively looking for a job.
Thanks to everyone.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Corona virus unemployment support 2020/4/9 16:39
You have already used your employment insurance - it's good for six months.
You did not mange to get a new permanent position in the last few months? You are unlikely to get one now and you have exhausted your entitlements. You might get the Y300k proposed in the recent announcements.
Japan is not a good welfare state - you need to live on your own assets/resources. It's the harsh reality of life - I'm plowing through a lot of cash and debt this year, as are a lot of other people.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread