Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/13 09:20
Hello everyone ,

I would like to know if some of you are in my situation.

Here is my situation , I am in Japan in tourist status since January and few weeks ago the company who wants to hire me received my COE.

But due do the spread of coronavirus itfs impossible for me to go back in France to get the stamps in my passport... (people from Europe are not allowed to land in Japan...)

I went to immigration and the officer told me that they can not put the stamp in my passport and that I have to apply for a change of status of residence.

I told him that I though it was impossible from tourist to work status...

But immigration told me to to that so the company who sponsor my visa and I filled the form , wrote a letter explaining the reason why I want to to the change of status here and I went at immigration on 23th March to apply with my COE.

The said that itfs going to go fast because I already have the certificate of eligibility.(I m wondering if the migration inspector would tell me to do this if it was impossible from tourist to work...)

Ifm worrying that the reason if my post.

Would like to know if some of you are or have been in my situation( while coronavirus circumstances).

Sorry for my English...

Have a nice day
by Enolah (guest)  

Re: Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/13 11:14
What immigration told you is correct. Because of the coronavirsu situation, a change of status from visitor to work is now very quickly processed inside Japan, especially for people who already have a COE. It can be as quick as on the day you submit the documents.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/13 11:21
@Uji

Thank you for your reply.

Ifve heard that since end of November applying for a change of status of residence in Japan was no longer possible ...
Thatfs why I am worrying...
by Enolah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/13 11:23
@Uji

From tourist status to work status I mean !

Re: Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/13 13:36
Indeed, it seems it became more difficult or even impossible, but the coronavirus has changed the situation.

Re: Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/13 14:30
@Uji thanks !

I really hope that it is true ...
I guess I will figure out soon , it s been 3 weeks I applied ...

Re: Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/14 11:50
Just received the postcard !
Asking me to come counter A1 with 4000\ stamps , my passport , the application receipt!
I guess thatfs a good news!

Re: Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/14 12:22
I would think so, indeed.

Re: Change of status of residence (tourist/work) 2020/4/15 12:11
I got my visa!

It took 3 weeks and 2 days !
by Enolaj (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread